TacOps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM95

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone used the OMS TACOPS BC? Just curious, thanks.

No, sorry
That is for rapid deployment and up until now we never considered.

No but I'd love to get my hands on one. :)

Someone must be using them, everyone is sold out. OMS has had them backordered for months

Not us either.., not the type of gear we'd use. I would however be interested in if anyone uses (has used) their haz-mat bc.

I am still surprised by the idea that an agency that has any concern about the safety of their personnel would allow a person to enter an IDLH environment with 13 cf of air when most teams are exiting the water when their 80 cf cylinders (with 26 cf of air in reserve) reach 1,000 psi.

I wonder if the reason why these vests are hard to find is that the manufacturer has discovered that no one in the public safety community is interested in using them and they have stopped building them.

I'm with Blades. Let's see, roughly one minute to get into this rig with between 6 and 27 cf of air or under three minutes to get fully set up in a dry suit, dry gloves, full face and enough air to stay a while. Let me think about this for a while, OK I'm done... Not a chance for our team.

Let this thing stay in boat racing where it seems to have been designed for in the first place.

Gary D.

I've spoken with a few different team members and no one has even seen one up close. I was just wondering what a wider sample of people here would say. Interesting they are not available. Maybe Blades is right and they were cleared out due to lack of interest.

I'm with Blades. Let's see, roughly one minute to get into this rig with between 6 and 27 cf of air or under three minutes to get fully set up in a dry suit, dry gloves, full face and enough air to stay a while. Let me think about this for a while, OK I'm done... Not a chance for our team.

Let this thing stay in boat racing where it seems to have been designed for in the first place.

Gary D.

Gary,

I will go one step further and state that we keep our SCUBA rigs pre-assembled on the apparatus and can donn a 80 CF unit just as fast as someone can donn one of the smaller units. Our rigs have full face masks, u/w communications AND 80 cubic feet of air. Putting a dry suit on only takes a few more moments and in the fire community some are getting dressed in route. (Gary and others in patrol cars have difficulty doing that :D )

So again, I wonder what would warrant a well trained team that has conducted a well thought out risk/benefit analysis to place divers in the water, starting an operation, with less than 20 cubic feet of air?

If/when a diver is killed in the line of duty wearing one of these "fast response" units, the attorneys will be lining up and the widow will be wealthy. The department's chief officer will likely be fired and the dive team leader will demoted to a junior grade position until he retires. (My prediction) ... I only hope a LODD NEVER happens.

:D Oh, you fire guys are winnies.:D:rofl3: Try getting out of your boots, duty belt and vest at 100+. The embarrassing part is when we get on scene and fly out of the car half dressed and we get canceled. :rofl3:

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom