Tabutne liveaboard out of Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in a liveaboard trip in Belize, and I just came across mention of the Tabutne out of Belize city. It appears to be a small (12 passenger) boat, which is exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with these people, or know anything about this operation? I think their web site is tabutnediving.com. I have never heard of these people, and was wondering what others might know about them...:06: Thanks for your help. Woody

Just a little update on these guys... I e-mailed them about availability of large tanks on their boat, ( as I am a certified airhog) and asked if maybe I could rent one ashore for a possible trip with them. They said all they had was 80cf tanks, but that I raised a good point, and that they would order a couple of bigger tanks for general use. :luxhello: I have got to say, I have never encountered THAT attitude before, and this is looking better and better. Anybody know anything else about them? Woody

Woody:

Did you end up diving with them in the end? If so, how'd it go?

Hal

I recently read that they are now operating out of San Padro on Ambergris Caye. I know they are also doing 3 day/2 night trips.

Do yourself a favor and call some of the LDS' on Caye Caulker and ask them about this boat. It is owned by the same guy that is now running Paradise Down. I heard of 1 account from 2 different people on Caulker about some CO2 issues w/ their compressor. Based on my experiences w/ Paradise Down I would caution against it. Maybe they have cleaned up their operation but I would put in the due dilligence.

battles2a5:
Do yourself a favor and call some of the LDS' on Caye Caulker and ask them about this boat. It is owned by the same guy that is now running Paradise Down. I heard of 1 account from 2 different people on Caulker about some CO2 issues w/ their compressor. Based on my experiences w/ Paradise Down I would caution against it. Maybe they have cleaned up their operation but I would put in the due dilligence.
Interesting. Do you have any more information on Paradise Down or this whole episode? I had sorta put the Tabutne on the back burner due to the extreme lack of any information about it, but I am still interested, and would appreciate any information you might have... Thanks. Woody

As of today they have not made any trips out. I along with my staff we booked several weeks ago and the had some type of electrical problem and did not go.
We are not sure he is in business as he receintly move locations in San Pedro.
Steve

I am getting a lot of negative responses regarding this boat and its operator, which is a real shame, as I had high hopes for them..:shakehead Maybe with time this will all shake out and the situation improve. I hope so, but for now, be warned. Woody

Tabutne is now "Divers at Play" and has moved to Roatan, Honduras after many problems in Belize.
We dived with him and never received our permanent diving certificates from NAUI. At the end of our vacation found out he had many problems with other divers. Good at talking BS but very unprofessional in his work. Tabutne is the name on his boat, but he changes the sign on top of it every time he has a problem. Right now it says "Divers at Play". Beware.

Yep, I never got my NAUI card from him either. That and his rental gear practically killed me. The mouthpiece on my reg dry rotted through and broke off while I was doing a dof/don in open water on my 3rd OW checkout dive. Bad news. I was back in Belize a month ago and they are still talking about that guy. Stay away from him.

Back
Top Bottom