T&C (Provo) for 1st time junior divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A relatives kids (13 and 14) want to get certified. The family is going on a trips to T&C in a few months where they would dive for the first time. Neither parent dives, although their dad may do the course with them and also get certified.

Would they find enough suitable diving in T&C? Or will it be a challenge for a dive boat to accomodate the kids without limiting the other divers? I haven't been there yet but I'm under the impression that there won't be too many dives in the Jr depth limits of 40ft.

Most of the frequently-visited dive sites are 60'+. You might want to contact the dive operators there directly (Caicos Adventures or Provo Turtle Divers would be my recommendations) and see how they respond. They're the ones who would be dealing directly with your children and regardless of the diving conditions, especially if your hubby doesn't also get certified (which I *highly* recommend when you're certifying children), you'll want to be comfortable with the dive operations.

BurBunny:
Most of the frequently-visited dive sites are 60'+. You might want to contact the dive operators there directly (Caicos Adventures or Provo Turtle Divers would be my recommendations) and see how they respond. They're the ones who would be dealing directly with your children and regardless of the diving conditions, especially if your hubby doesn't also get certified (which I *highly* recommend when you're certifying children), you'll want to be comfortable with the dive operations.

That's pretty much what I thought. I would like to suggest that they consider the Keys, Grand Cayman or Bonaire for their first dive trip and enjoy this vacation without diving. Or maybe try a Discover Scuba as a family and see if they like it and feel safe and comfortable with the kids proceeding.

These are not my kids. They are a relatives children and neither of the parents dives or is that interested. The father will get certified if needed. My husband and I are experienced divers, so the relative has asked us what we think. My personal feeling about kids this age diving is that they just shouldn't, period. I know some very mature and responsible 13-17 yr olds and I have seen all them react like hysterical kids at times when faced with a sudden scary situation on land, not to mention just do plain stupid things under the right peer pressure conditions. Even 25 ft down that can have dangerous results. If they were my kids they'd have to wait a couple years and then only dive with experienced parents, preferably with rescue diver cert.

Aside from the age question and typical depths there, I'd guess Provo is also one of the more expensive places to get certified. It's a pricey island to begin with and I doubt they do a lot of certifications so there likely won't be many people in a class (though of course that is good.) It's also not as convienient for training as someplace like Bonaire, where there are lots of dive oriented hotels with shops on site using the pool on site and the shore dive out front for OW.

I spend a great deal of time diving in Provo with Caicos Adventures. You will find they do many certifications at different levels including serveral juniors that I know. They are very accomodating with young people in picking dive sites that satisfy PADI standards. I agree that Provo is pricey but worth every penny IMHO. Give then a try our will not be disappointed. Ask for Richard or Lil they are a greaet team with kids.

ScubaWife,

There is a small shop at the Coral Gardens hotel. The instructor there does the classroom sessions onsite and the "confined water" portion of the OW class right there off the beach. He then books with one of the dive ops on the island to do the four required open water skills dives for certification.

He also does discover dives right off the beach at Coral Gardens (in case the father and mother are interested)

Thanks everyone for the specific shop recommendations and other info. I'll be seeing my cousin this weekend. There T&C trip is already booked. If they do still want to go ahead with the diving at least I can stear them to their best choices.

I am still going to suggest they do the discover scuba together and see how that goes first. If they do like it, come home and do a full cert course then pick a Jr Diver friendly destination and instructor for the check out dives.

My understanding is jr. OW divers need to dive with a parent, so dad may think about getting cert. too.

The fellow at Coral Gardens name is Matthew a great guy to know and a lot of fun. Jr divers need to dive with a DM or higher or a parent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom