T & C diving conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gina&peter

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the conditions of the reefs and diving after the two hurricanes ? We are scheduled there October 25th. Thanks

There are conflicting reports. One post show a live aboard video with great viz. A response says they were anchored about a half mile away and the viz was 30' or less. I try asking on trip advisor, and get vague responses. Most, if not all, of the operators require prepayment and no refunds if plans change within 30 days of the dive. I am having a hard time to committing for our upcoming visit I think I may have to wait until I arrive. I just hate carrying my dive gear and not diving.

We booked with Big Blue for this Thursday Oct 26. She says the conditions are clearing up quite quickly. They have full refund within 48 hours and 50% refund after that. So hopefully it will be good diving !

The dive was not very good. The water was murky and the visibility limited. And they only went out in Grace Bay - football field and piranha cove. They could only find 2 other people to dive that day. The conditions may have been better in other locations. And hopefully the water will be improving all the time. Snorkeling was ok.

Grace Bay is a giant sand box... It might be good to try to get out to NW Point or West Caicos... I have friends leaving on the Aggressor in a couple of days and they're being told that all is well.... "Well" may be a relative term though.

I was on the Explorer a week after Irene went through. Diving was horrible and as photographer, I'd have looked at changing weeks if that was an option.

Last edited:
I copied this from my post on another string and modified it for dates:

I returned from T&C about two weeks ago. Sorry for the late report. I did four (technically five) dives in two days with Dive Provo. First dive was a washout. There were four divers and two dive masters (one being the boat captain). We tried to go in front of Grace Bay. Visibility was about ten feet at best. The dive master hoped it would be better by the wall, but called the dive after about eight minutes. We went up and then went to the north end (?), in front of Amanyara. Viz was great - 100'. We did a full dive there. I was impressed with the fish life, shark, and corals. It was a wonderful dive.

We slowly moved to our second location during our surface interval. It was a short ride to the Black Coral Forest. Viz there was slightly worse at about 75 - 80'. Still a great dive.

The next day had a lot more divers - about 11 divers with two snorkelers. Five of us were "singles". We went to West Caicos. Both dives had about 60 - 70' of visibility. More great life and coral and some very curious sharks. I've never had sharks just hang around - almost circling. The only thing I didn't like about the dive was one of the divers. He was a novice diver and constantly doing the breast stroke while diving. I did my best to stay away from him and not get my regulator ripped out of my mouth. Luckily, he didn't hurt the other novice (female) diver he was hitting on above the water. The last diver came up about ten minutes after me and said the viz was deteriorating quickly as he finished his dive. I'm not sure what was affecting the visibility because it was less choppy than the day before.

I'm scheduled to go to TC in Dec. Hopefully the viz will be better by then?

I'm scheduled to go to TC in Dec. Hopefully the viz will be better by then?

It will all depend on the location of the dive site, tides and wind. I can't believe past hurricanes are still having an impact at this time. I'm sure you will have a great diving experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom