Sync cord vs optical cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys

I am very new to underwater photography, I am thinking about buying a Nexus housing for my Nikon D80 but I don't know whether I go with the sync cord or optical cable? If anyone can please give me the pros and cons on each one that would be great. Thank you so much in advance.

Depends somewhat on the strobes and controller you plan to use. Optical sync is simple, flood proof, and works well if you have a good match between camera and strobes. It requires your camera's built in flash to be able to open and fire inside the housing. You also need to be able to block that light from getting to your subject to avoid backscatter. On most cameras, again with properly matched strobe, you can have ttl strobe control with an optical link, by the strobe duplicating the light from the built in flash. Downside is, your built in flash fires every time. You use your battery a bit faster, and depending on camera, your recharge time between shots might be longer.
Sync cords transfer the electrical signal from the camera straight to the strobe (or through a ttl or manual converter to the strobe). You'll never have a dark shot because the strobe didn't react to the flash properly. The ttl signals are already built in, so the proper strobe/controller can read them and follow the camera's directions. You get consistent firing. I've never missed a shot with my hotshoe equipped rig....except....(Downside) when I didn't take good care of the sync cord. It flooded, destroying my ttl controller. New ttl controller, $300, new double sync cord, $180, time without the housing, 3 weeks. This was the first sync cord issue I've had, and it resulted from leaving the cord on the housing for 3+ months when I was hurt and couldn't dive. With proper maintenance, I'd probably still be using it trouble free.

I've used both. I prefer fiber optics. Cheap and effective with the right strobes and housing.

Sync cords can flood, break, short, etc. FO is pretty much foolproof. I would definitely go with the optical bulkheads. With the Nexus optical bulkheads, you will have TTL w/ Inon Z240 strobes.

I am actually in the market for a housing for my D300. I have used Subal's for last 2 cameras (D70 & D200). I am going to wait and see what the Seatool housing for the D300 is like before I order another Subal just because I would rather have the optical capabilities.

Dave

I'm confused. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like theDude and Larry are talking about two entirely different things. theDude referred to an optical "cable" which I would take to mean a fiber optic cable that uses light rather than electric current inside the cable. I have to admit that I haven't seen fiber optic sync cables yet but it wouldn't surprise me that they exist. I would imagine that's certainly the way of the future. On the other hand, Larry is talking about a system that uses light from your camera's built-in flash to fire your external strobes with out the use of any connecting cable. I think the term is optical slave? On most SLR housings it's impossible to use a built in Flash so this is isn't even an option for many of us. Which "optical" system is it that we are comparing to a standard electronic sync cord?

David,

Nexus housings for the D200 & D300 (& not sure which others) have room for the cameras flash to pop-up and the signal is sent via optical ports and FO cables to the strobes. Seatool also offers this.

Are you sure that the Nexus D80 housing has this?

Dave

Dear David

It is the normal optical cable which needs the build-in flash to pop-up :)

Hey guys thank you very much for all the answer :D I am really appreciated so now I will just have to decide.

Do any of you know of a website/article which identifies which dSLR housings are compatible with optical cords?

Back
Top Bottom