Swivel turrets and bottom ports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My current 1st stage regs are Hollis DC3s. I have 2 of them. They have at least 4 LP ports (can't remember if there's more, but I think not) and 2 HP ports. No rotating turret. No bottom port.

I am going to doubles. Right now, I'm planning to use these same 2 1st stage regs for my doubles and maybe buy a new 1st stage to have as a dedicated singles reg set.

As I contemplate how to configure my DC3s for doubles and also whether I will get another 1st stage and what I would get, I keep seeing comments about rotating turrets and how great they are.

The simple question is what is so great about a swivel turret?

I've been using 1 DC3 for singles and I can't see where having anything able to rotate would have made any hose routing better or easier when using it that way. 2 LP ports on the right accommodate my primary and secondary 2nd stage regs. 1 HP port on the right holds my wireless AI transmitter. 2 LP ports on the left accommodate my LPI and my dry suit inflator. 1 HP port on the left has my backup SPG/computer console.

What would be nice is if it had a LP port on the bottom, for the longer 2nd stage hose that goes under my right arm. A HP port on the bottom, for the SPG that goes under my left arm would be nice, too. But I digress...

Now that I'm planning to repurpose for doubles, I still can't see where a swivel turret would help me. What seems like it would help is if each DC3 had a LP port on the bottom. For a doubles setup, it seems like I would want each 1st stage to have 2 LP ports that are at right angles to each other.

On the left post, the bottom of the reg would point to the right and my secondary 2nd stage would come out of that and go around my neck. And a LP port pointing straight down would let my dry suit inflator point straight down and route under my left arm. a HP port pointing straight down would have my SPG hose coming out and also routing under my left arm.

On the right post, the bottom of the reg would point to the left and my LPI hose would come out of that and go behind my neck and over my left shoulder to plug into my wing inflator. And a LP port pointing straight down would have my long hose for my primary 2nd stage coming out and routing under my right arm.

So, what would a swivel turret actually do for me? It seems like, compared to the fixed turret regs I've looked at, the swivel just allows for very minor (dare I say inconsequential?) changes to the hose angle.

It seems like the only thing my DC3s lack that would make them better for doubles is having a LP port on the bottom - which might also make them nicer for singles, too. But, I can't see how a swivel would matter to anything. Is a swivel turret really just a marketing gimmick?

On the other hand, having a LP port on the bottom (at right angles to at least one LP port on the side) makes a BIG difference in helping route hoses without the hose having to make a 90 degree turn (even if it's a gentle 90 degree turn).

A 1st stage that has 5 LP ports, where 1 is on the bottom, and 2 HP ports, where one is on each side, seems like a reg that would work fine, with good hose routing, no matter whether you are using it for singles or doubles. But, I don't see where a rotating turret really matters in either case (singles or doubles).

What am I not getting?

Your routing is not correct, take a look at routing here:Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

In my current configuration my first stages have bottom ports and swivel turrets. The bottom port allows a very streamlined routing, from the right post the BC inflator and from the left the backup second stage. Swivel turrets are nice but I don't think are a deal breaker, but I'd like to hear from more experienced divers as well.

Your routing is not correct, take a look at routing here:Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

In my current configuration my first stages have bottom ports and swivel turrets. The bottom port allows a very streamlined routing, from the right post the BC inflator and from the left the backup second stage. Swivel turrets are nice but I don't think are a deal breaker, but I'd like to hear from more experienced divers as well.

What part is not correct? My configuration for doubles is the same as what you described except that I don't have bottom ports.

doubles have basically two options for routing. Both are in the GUE article. One is using an Apeks DS4, which is what your regulators are copies of. Note that the inflator hose has to turn 90* once, then 90* again, as does the secondary.

With a 5th port, you are correct, the gains provided here outweigh the turret. What makes the turret useful in backmount is that when routed horizontally, during an air share situation, the hose does not have to make a 180* bend as the regulator will swivel to accommodate the change in hose routing. On the left post, it also allows the drysuit inflator to move out to where it isn't being bent against the crown of the tank. This is much worse on 8" tanks than it is on 7.25" tanks, but it's still a consideration. You can sort of see that in the blue tanks with the MK25's , none of the hoses have any bend in them at all. Ont he close up of the DS4's mounted on 8" tanks, the HP hose is bent, the drysuit inflator doesn't have to bend much, but the wing inflator is bent to hell, and the primary reg is bent quite badly to follow the front of the tank. Hose protectors are almost required for this to prevent kinking of the long hose *I hate hose protectors*, and it's just not a lot of warm fuzzies for the hoses.

Summary, 5th port makes the most difference by removing 90* bends in the secondary regulator and the wing inflator, secondary benefit is shorter hose lengths. Turret alleviates a bit of stress on the drysuit inflator, but mainly all but eliminates the possibility of kinking the primary during donation. In sidemount this is the key.

Your routing is not correct, take a look at routing here:Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers.

Only if you want to subscribe to that mantra....

There are a number of "silent" folks here on SB (some of whom have significant credentials) using a slightly different approach....

Lets leave it at "if you want to be with this crowd..."

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 12:31 PM ----------

You do not want both second stages coming from the same post side

I believe he's talking about his singles rig....

Only if you want to subscribe to that mantra....

There are a number of "silent" folks here on SB (some of whom have significant credentials) using a slightly different approach....

Lets leave it at "if you want to be with this crowd..."

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 12:31 PM ----------

he's talking about a singles rig....

Then I failed on speed reading and I stand corrected. Sorry about that.

I totally get it now. Thanks - especially Tom!

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 01:21 PM ----------

It was a little long winded....
:coffee:

As usual... But, I feel like if I don't explain my thought process, nobody will be able to straighten me out on the things that I'm thinking about wrong - even though I might come to the correct conclusion. I want to do things "right" AND for the right reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom