switching out dive rite elbow to NON pull dump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All...im looking into two different wings. One is dive rite voyager xt(35lb lift). The other is hollis s38. Both are a bit more lift than needed for single tank setup but that's ok. Anyways, I can get a new one from a friend for only 200 bucks BUT it comes with the inflator pull dump valve which I have read many negative things about so I'd rather have a standard elbow. How hard and expensive would this be if it could even be done at all? If not then I guess I'll just go for the Hollis s38 unless someone else can recommend another wing in the 300 price range. Thanks all

Look up pricing at www.divegearexpress.com.

Its quite easy. the elbow is held by a threaded ring to the bladder. Cut the zip ties, remove the ptd elbow, install the plain elbow. Same on the other end. You need to remove the connector cable which is pinned in the inflator.
Or, just buy the whole assembly and swap it out.

It's easy to do, but I would avoid a single tank wing that's as big as the voyager, I don't know anything about the hollis. There are lots of appropriately-sized single tank wings in the $300 range. If you could get the travel wing that's a much better size for single tanks. Dive rite tends to over-size their wings IMO. Oxycheq mach V wings are high quality, well sized, and reasonably priced.

It's easy to do, but I would avoid a single tank wing that's as big as the voyager, I don't know anything about the hollis. There are lots of appropriately-sized single tank wings in the $300 range. If you could get the travel wing that's a much better size for single tanks. Dive rite tends to over-size their wings IMO. Oxycheq mach V wings are high quality, well sized, and reasonably priced.

Maybe should have mentioned this will be a cold water setup for 7mm wet suit with gloves and hood or dry suit. Lift calculator recommends 30 lbs wing. Which wings do you suggest? I can't find the oxycheq for below 400 which is out of budget for me

I'd rather have a standard elbow. How hard and expensive would this be?

Easy and cheap @ 9 bucks + shipping.

---------- Post added May 25th, 2015 at 08:23 AM ----------

Look up pricing at www.divegearexpress.com.

Its quite easy. the elbow is held by a threaded ring to the bladder. Cut the zip ties, remove the ptd elbow, install the plain elbow. Same on the other end. You need to remove the connector cable which is pinned in the inflator.
Or, just buy the whole assembly and swap it out.

BC2750_Diagram-500.jpg

Good morning Yoyoguy. I have the Hollis S38 and dive it cold with a dry suit and 38 lbs of weight. I use mine on a Deep Outdoor harness for both coldwater and warm water diving. It is a great wing and has treated me well since I bought it. I don't know anything about the DGE or the OxyCheck wings, no experience there, but you can't go wrong with the Hollis IMO.

Maybe should have mentioned this will be a cold water setup for 7mm wet suit with gloves and hood or dry suit. Lift calculator recommends 30 lbs wing. Which wings do you suggest? I can't find the oxycheq for below 400 which is out of budget for me

The oxycheq 30 lb wing is $355 at caveadventurers, if you hunt around you might find a better deal. Here's the important thing, the oxy 30lb wing is 13.5" wide, the dive rite voyager lists 19". That's a huge difference and I suspect that the lift calculations are not accurate, meaning I wouldn't be surprised if the DR wing has more lift than 35lbs. The only reason I say that is because my rec wing, older model, is supposed to have 40lbs and it's huge, you would never use it for single tanks. I use it for AL80 doubles and it's too big IMO.

The older DR voyager was a real dog. Maybe the newer model is better.

I dive the Voyager in a single tank setup with a drysuit, ST100, and 18 lbs of weight plus pony setup and find it to fit my needs just fine. Before the drysuit, I dove in a 7mm with (sometimes) another 5mm of neoprene through vests and base layers and still always found the DR Voyager to be a good wing. I don't find it to be too big, even for traveling, so my experience has only been positive.

I dive a XT Voyager with my single tank setup. I dive it with a steel 72 and usually a 5mm. Always worked very well for me.

I have the same Voyager wing (without a pull dump) on a Transpac, and agree that it is a little wide. It is probably better suited for 8” single tanks on a plate with a STA that pushes the tank out further in my opinion. Be careful reattaching the elbow if you swap it out, there’s not a lot of thread engagement on the bladder and the elbow on my wing kind of indexes with flat sections rather than spinning 360 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom