switching inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torrey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got a Scubapro Accent with an Air2 inflator and I recently bought a used Scubapro Seahawk with a normal inflator. I'm wanting to exclusively use the Seahawk, but would rather not have to purchase an octo.

Is switching the Air2 as easy as cutting the wire ties and pulling the plastic part from the hose connected to the BC, or would I need to switch the entire assembly. I did notice that the point where the inflator hose connects to the BC, the Air2 assembly has some sort of venting slots where the Seahawk doesn't. Has anybody done this with an Air2 assembly before?

Also, if this can be done by just switching the plastic parts, do you just pop the plastic piece into the hose and re-crimp with wire ties, or is there more to it than that?

I don't think you want to be cutting any wires. If you remove the retainer that holds the inflator/Air2 on that end of the corrugated hose, you should find a metal pin holding the "device" to the wire. Press out the pins (without losing the wire), switch the devices, and replace pins and corrugated hoses.

As far as cutting goes, I was referring to the black plastic retainers. When you say "switch the devices", I'm assuming you're just talking about the actual plastic units at the end of the corrugated hoses, right?

I consider myself a pretty handy guy, but is this something easy to screw up, or is it pretty straight-forward? I would only be able to test it in <30ft of water before I go to Cozumel in a few months, so I would hate to find out I made a mistake at 80ft+.

torrey:
As far as cutting goes, I was referring to the black plastic retainers. When you say "switch the devices", I'm assuming you're just talking about the actual plastic units at the end of the corrugated hoses, right?

I consider myself a pretty handy guy, but is this something easy to screw up, or is it pretty straight-forward? I would only be able to test it in <30ft of water before I go to Cozumel in a few months, so I would hate to find out I made a mistake at 80ft+.

Yes, just switch the actual plastic units. It is quite easy to do. If your "black plastic retainers" are zip ties, just cut them off carefully so as not to damage the corrugated hoses. I take a good pair of diagonal cutters to the retaining end of the zip tie. The original plastic retainer on SP BCs is usually a reusable plastic device that screws on and off. I found that a pair of zip ties is easier and does a better seal. Doubling them up decreases the chance of a leak.

It is not a depth sensetive connection so the local pool test is as good as 80 ft. If you are unsure, I would not expect a LDS to charge more than $20 to do the switch.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try it myself and if I screw up, there's plenty of LDS's around Dallas.

I did that recently when I removed my AIR2 to replace it with an octo. :wink: Yep, clip the zip ties, pull it down a bit, push out that pin (it might just fall out), and swap and reverse. I had a hard time gettign the pin back into the inflator, but I got it eventually.

It's been a while since I've looked at a ScubaPro vest but can't you remove the entire inflator mechanism and hose by unscrewing the locking collar where it attaches to the vest?

Thalassamania:
It's been a while since I've looked at a ScubaPro vest but can't you remove the entire inflator mechanism and hose by unscrewing the locking collar where it attaches to the vest?

I had heard from a LDS a long time ago that it's easy to break something or strip the plastic threads trying to do that. I didn't look at it too closely because I wasn't planning on going that route, but just from a quick look, the Accent's inflator looks to have a larger fitting than the Seahawk's inflator. It could just be that the collar is bigger and the actual threaded fittings are the same size (if that makes sense).

torrey:
I had heard from a LDS a long time ago that it's easy to break something or strip the plastic threads trying to do that. I didn't look at it too closely because I wasn't planning on going that route, but just from a quick look, the Accent's inflator looks to have a larger fitting than the Seahawk's inflator. It could just be that the collar is bigger and the actual threaded fittings are the same size (if that makes sense).

If it looks at all different, it probably is different. But if it is the same, including correct length corrugated hose, switching the entire devices is not difficult. Note that the attachment on the upper end of the inflator hose has about 12 discreet positions it can be placed in. Just make sure you have it seated in one of those positions before you try to tighten the collar.

Most BC's (and as I said I'm not up on the ScubaPros) have a threaded ring that can easily be removed with a two pin spanner tool. If you're ham fisted you might break it by cross threading it going back on. It's the kind of thing that frankly I'd be surprised at any LDS I dealt with on a regular basis would not say, "sure," and do it right now as a favor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom