Switching hotels and what part of island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For variety we want to stay at one or two south end hotel for a few days and one centro town hotel. Is there any point to a north end hotel given the distance to the south reefs? Also, how difficult , hassle is it coordinating doing morning diving, coming back for lunch, switching hotels and then doing the afternoon , evening dives from the new hotel? Would the first hotel be ok with my friend staying on the property after noon checkout till I got back and then doing the afternoon dives there? How late free checkout do the resorts allow? We are looking foe variety and exploring more then one area ans property. Thanks!

For variety we want to stay at one or two south end hotel for a few days and one centro town hotel. Is there any point to a north end hotel given the distance to the south reefs? Also, how difficult , hassle is it coordinating doing morning diving, coming back for lunch, switching hotels and then doing the afternoon , evening dives from the new hotel? Would the first hotel be ok with my friend staying on the property after noon checkout till I got back and then doing the afternoon dives there? How late free checkout do the resorts allow? We are looking foe variety and exploring more then one area an property. Thanks!
South hotels are AI. check out night before and just drop off Key and bags in the morning, hotel will hold bags for you, and you can eat lunch when you get back from morning dive. I stay at Sunscape Sabor an AI, my wife checks out at 11am and sits around the pool. Bell hop takes bags to storage. I arrive about 1pm from dives eat lunch and then leave. Doing afternoon dive that day is an if!! But you can change hotels then have time to do 2 tank Twilight/night dive. they usually leave about 4pm.
Mid south hotels like Blue Angel and Villa Blanca and others will work something out with you.
Same with central in town hotels. North hotels are a taxi ride or long boat ride to best dive site. Up north not much happening or variety of restaurants. Central and mid south are your best bets for variety. From airport rd south to international pier is where you will find the most of what Cozumel has to offer.

For variety we want to stay at one or two south end hotel for a few days and one centro town hotel. Is there any point to a north end hotel given the distance to the south reefs? Also, how difficult , hassle is it coordinating doing morning diving, coming back for lunch, switching hotels and then doing the afternoon , evening dives from the new hotel? Would the first hotel be ok with my friend staying on the property after noon checkout till I got back and then doing the afternoon dives there? How late free checkout do the resorts allow? We are looking foe variety and exploring more then one area ans property. Thanks!

That sounds like a really tight schedule. Not seeing where there is going to be time for any lunch. There is usually only 60-90 minutes between first trip gets back and second trip goes out. Schedules vary among ops - some leave at 7:30am and some at 8:30am - so you might have the time or it might be impossible depending on how your two ops schedules sync up. And it's a long drive from south end to north end. I've found the smaller places are faster to check in and work with you better in late checkouts but a much safer plan is like loudives described - do a morning trip then a twilight/night trip.

Suit yourself, but the only time I have switched hotels on Cozumel was when I had to because our reservations got futzed. It was a PITA. I don't go to Cozumel for the "hotel experience"; it's just a place to sleep.

One trip, a while back, I switched hotels mid week. It was a guys dive trip that the other two guys had to leave three days earlier than me. The three of us stayed at the Barracuda and after they left I moved over to what was then the Park Royal. It was nice to have two different experiences. The first part we hit the town pretty hard after our dives and second was a real chill couple of days at the pool after diving. Park Royal is an easy cab ride into town if you want to change your scenery.

how was grand park royal?
One trip, a while back, I switched hotels mid week. It was a guys dive trip that the other two guys had to leave three days earlier than me. The three of us stayed at the Barracuda and after they left I moved over to what was then the Park Royal. It was nice to have two different experiences. The first part we hit the town pretty hard after our dives and second was a real chill couple of days at the pool after diving. Park Royal is an easy cab ride into town if you want to change your scenery.

My wife hates changing hotels and I like to change it up on longer trips. We switched hotels in March, 9 days at one and 10 days at another, but we weren't trying to do it in between a morning and afternoon boat trip. I think the tight window could cause stress.

how was grand park royal?
I liked it. It was newly remodeled back then, they took it down to the base structure. Everything was very well done. Took my family back there the following year. I liked the convenience of having nice onsite meals for breakfast and lunch and then going to town for diner and sight seeing. At the time, my kids didn't dive, so having activity options in a contained environment while I was out diving was nice for my wife.

Now when I go down with the family we stay at the El Cantil condos. Great location, across the street from a grocery store and you can walk to all the shops and restaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom