Switching fins, need to switch teniques?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been using a pair of split Scuba Pro jet fins, I recently picked up an old used pair of decor knock offs of the original black jet fin by scuba pro. A lot of the old salts I dive with swear by them and at $7 I couldn't say no. I normally do the flutter kick and sometimes the dolphin and the frog kick, depending on what I am doing. I tried out the old style fin and noticed that my shins hurt and I ended up with some blisters on the top of my feet after 3 dives in one day. Both fins are size large and I am a 10.5 foot. I was using mostly the flutter kick, but it looks like the frog kick is recommended for these fins. I am wondering if these fins might not be sized correctly for me, I am not kick properly, or my muscles aren't use to the stiffer fin.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

Different kick styles as well as different fin styles often use different small stabilizer muscle groups. Most likely with the new fins you're most likely using different muscles as well as the same muscles to a different degree. I switch between turtle fins and Dive Rite's for different dive conditions and often notice that the two hit different muscles in my lower half differently. With that in mind you may want to or need to alter your kick for these new fins. As far as the blisters go, its the fin pocket rubbing your foot. Can't really help you there other than to say that the fins may not fit correctly or you're simply kicking a lot on your dives.

My 1st 20+ years of diving, that's what I used(had all 3 sizes Turbo I,II, & IIIs)......When I changed to split fins, I did nothing different....btw, reason for changing???-------lost II's in a boat accident we had one day, III's I kept on Roatan in one of our house closets & they finally went Ka-Put, & still have the I's, they are a little small so I let kids use them around the pool(still in great shape)....all 3 would be almost 35 years old today if I still had them..:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom