Switch on Halcyon Helios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I have a Halcyon helios cannister light. While I'm happy with it most of the time, when I wear thicker gloves I have a terrible time trying to flip the switch to turn it on and off. My finger just doesn't want to reach into that tiny little switch protector.

I know the newer Halcyon lights have a better designed protector, but I'd rather not buy a new light just for that.

Has anyone found a solution, maybe an after-market or third party switch/switch boot/switch protector?

Thanks.

Call up Halcyon Tech Services and see what they can do for you?

Hi. I have a Halcyon helios cannister light. While I'm happy with it most of the time, when I wear thicker gloves I have a terrible time trying to flip the switch to turn it on and off. My finger just doesn't want to reach into that tiny little switch protector.

I know the newer Halcyon lights have a better designed protector, but I'd rather not buy a new light just for that.

Has anyone found a solution, maybe an after-market or third party switch/switch boot/switch protector?

Thanks.

I used a dremel on my salvo. I put a 1/2 circle "hole" on either side of the switch protector so that I could get my drygloves to easily flip the switch.

So here's what I did:

I called up Halcyon tech. They suggested drilling down slots in the protector, which is similar I think to JeffG's suggestion.

So that's what I did, and on my second dive on Saturday my light flooded. Now, its possible this wasn't because of the modification, and really it was just random chance, or something having to do with the steaming hot 96 degree surface temperature...

But in any event I'm done with the "expensive blue crap" and I bought myself a green force.

So here's what I did:

I called up Halcyon tech. They suggested drilling down slots in the protector, which is similar I think to JeffG's suggestion.

So that's what I did, and on my second dive on Saturday my light flooded. Now, its possible this wasn't because of the modification, and really it was just random chance, or something having to do with the steaming hot 96 degree surface temperature...

But in any event I'm done with the "expensive blue crap" and I bought myself a green force.

The switch protector has has nothing to do with the integrity of the canister. It doesn't provide any access for water to get into the canister. The screws that hold it on, only go 1/2 way through the canister lid.

The switch protector has has nothing to do with the integrity of the canister. It doesn't provide any access for water to get into the canister. The screws that hold it on, only go 1/2 way through the canister lid.

You are correct. My modification to the protector may or may not have had to do with the flood.

Nevertheless...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom