Swim for the Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Many of you may know Paul Ellis. Paul (and Brad Love) are running a kickstarter campaign to raise funds, and ultimately awareness of the situation regarding our coral reefs. For him it's specific to Cozumel, but in fact it could be any.

Here's a quick blurb on Paul from his webpage, and following is the email I received with the invite to contribute. The campaign ends on Thursday. They are close but not yet there, so I thought that I would spread the word. I get nothing from this, and Paul has not specifically asked me to post this. I do so because the protection of the Cozumel reefs is close to my heart as I suspect that it is for many of you.

A bit on Paul....
Paul Ellis is president and founder of Swim For The Reef, Inc., a U.S.A.-based, international non-profit environmental organization, whose mission is gaining knowledge about, and protection of, the coral reef systems of the world. Paul Ellis has been an active scuba diver since 1974 and a PADI Divemaster. Through his own dive mask he saw the motivation to make a positive impact on the immensely important near-shore environmental systems we know as coral reefs.​

In order to raise world awareness and to help facilitate education related to these complex ocean/shore issues, Paul Ellis spent five years in training as preparation for an ultimately successful, forty-mile, 14.5-hour, open water swim across the Yucatan Channel between the island of Cozumel and the mainland city of Cancun, Mexico, which was accomplished in August of 2004.​

Since the swim, Paul Ellis has become even more closely involved with the island of Cozumel and has been a permanent resident for the past two years. He formed a partnership with Sergio Sandoval, Jr. in Aquatic Expeditions to serve the diving public and Swim For The Reef’s research interests by investing in the beautiful, multi-purpose, 46’ dive boat, Swordfish, as well as contributing his many years of business experience.​

and the request he sent....
Hello friends and supporters!​

I am happy to let you all know that Swim For The Reef is progressing in our efforts to bring awareness as to the precious coral reefs. Please enjoy clicking on the various links and see our most exciting project since the Cozumel to Cancun swim. Many of you have been with me since the beginning. Thank you all very much. I am writing to you today to ask for your tax-deductible support of a movie project we are launching to the world which tells the story of my seven year swim for the reef.​
Swim for the Reef ’s documentary crowd-funding Kickstarter.​

Please also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on Kickstarter goals and Swim for the Reef project news.​

You can learn more about Swim for the Reef: A Documentary Thriller, Paul Ellis’ remarkable journey and personal story as well as how you can get involved in saving the coral reefs at Swim4TheReef.org.​

If you visit this Kickstarter and take action now, you will be joining a mounting tidal wave of human beings around the world committed to maintaining the vibrancy and promoting the good health and sustainability of this precious resource, coral reefs.​

Thank you for your support,​

Paul Ellis and the Swim For The Reef Team​

For those of you who contributed, I would like to thank you on behalf of Paul. They reached the kickstarter goal in time, and now that the project is funded, it is moving ahead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom