Sweet are the Uses of Adversity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Lately, my SLR setup started having some unfortunate problems (micro-leaks) and I had to put it on dry land till after a full service.

So I started using a compact camera I had won a year ago. And I was quite positively surprised by the results (see the link, and below). The small camera setup actually had a few advantages in contrast to an SLR, in terms of versatility and ease of use. There were some things I couldn't do as well (especially since I was using it with the internal strobes), but with these limitations in mind I got good shots, even in the sometimes mediocre visibility at the sites around Sydney. It's definitely an alternative I'll consider for some dives, and for combined dive-land travel (when I'd like to pack light) in the future.

13348904595_a9aa56566c.jpg
13482535363_8a916933f0.jpg13535337345_45dac4481d.jpg

Those are some really nice shots. Newer compact cameras are getting better and better. There were a couple of class winners taken with the "Toughs" at the Monterey Shoot-Out this year. One thing I miss about shooting a compact is the increased DOF of small lenses. I don't miss the slow shutter response, but I understand that's getting a lot better with the newer models.
I switched to DSLR when I got tired of taking pictures of the puff of silt and a tail that I got when I would try to shoot a skittish subject and click....wait...wait...flash...damn! Now I wish that my D300 wasn't so touchy about focus. Half the time with moving subjects I press the button and nothing happens. I guess I could go to continuous focus or manual focus and put up with blurry shots.

Back
Top Bottom