Swedish iron mine "Tuna Hastberg"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few great pics by my very modest buddy. Temp was about 3C

Ore chute
DSC_1400b.jpg

Electrical room
DSC_1389b.jpg

Room of mirrors
DSC_1336b.jpg

That is a very modest post considering the effort it takes to go diving there. Even before any diving can commence you have to decend 80m (260ft) vertical via 400 stairs. (Which you then have to climb after diving is finished)
Water temperature is rarely over 4c (39f), and usually around 2c (35f).

However, it is a gorgeous place to dive. Has a really nice room to warm up in. Proper "spa-style" lavatories (They even had scented candles last I was there).
If you prepare, you can go dry"caving" with SRT-equipment.
Really worth a trip!

See if you'd come to UK we have 6 degrees min all year round.

No bogs, warming room, scented candles or steps tho, just a hole in the ground a shattered adit and a murky head pool in the dripping dankness of the mine.....bliss

That is a very modest post considering the effort it takes to go diving there. Even before any diving can commence you have to decend 80m (260ft) vertical via 400 stairs. (Which you then have to climb after diving is finished)
Water temperature is rarely over 4c (39f), and usually around 2c (35f).

However, it is a gorgeous place to dive. Has a really nice room to warm up in. Proper "spa-style" lavatories (They even had scented candles last I was there).
If you prepare, you can go dry"caving" with SRT-equipment.
Really worth a trip!
Yea it was pretty nice comparatively. Although I had a big neck seal leak when I first got in which made for a chilly first dive even with suit heat

The 376 stairs (my wife actually counted) were pretty scary - the thought of slipping on the wet wood and riding them down on my butt was no fun! Whoever decided the gear lift wasn't suitable for human passengers clearly didn't examine the alternative.

We did the shallow loop to the left past all the ladders to the mirror room, then up through the "doorway" passage. Once we confirmed the continuous line we went back and cleaned up our cookies on the Ts.
Second dive was to the shaft and electrical room slightly right-ish of the entry.

Yea it was pretty nice comparatively. Although I had a big neck seal leak when I first got in which made for a chilly first dive even with suit heat

The 376 stairs (my wife actually counted) were pretty scary - the thought of slipping on the wet wood and ridding them down on my butt was no fun! Whoever decided the gear lift wasn't suitable for human passengers clearly didn't examine the alternative.

We did the shallow loop to the left past all the ladders to the mirror room, then up through the "doorway" passage. Once we confirmed the continuous line we went back and cleaned up our cookies on the Ts.
Second dive was to the shaft and electrical room slightly right-ish of the entry.

Nice dive. We had the unfortunate luck of experiencing a de-railment of the lift on the way down on day number two. Took quite a bit of creative enginering to macgyver the thing back on track. The thought of carrying GUE-rigged JJs up those steps was really not that appealing. So, I do understand the gear only rule.

Nice dive. We had the unfortunate luck of experiencing a de-railment of the lift on the way down on day number two. Took quite a bit of creative enginering to macgyver the thing back on track. The thought of carrying GUE-rigged JJs up those steps was really not that appealing. So, I do understand the gear only rule.

Ugh taking actual gear up those steps would be horrible - and take forever. My thighs were a bit tingly for a day as it was. Sadly the rest of my Scandinavian week was at Plura and it rained like crazy (on New Years!). So while it was still divable, the visibility was awful.

I'm thinking of returning to the Mo I Rana area to actually see those caves in July 2021. But combine that with a week of wrecks in Narvik. Plura seems like a pretty cave (what I could see), but a long way for me just for that.

I did my cave dpv in Tuna a year ago. 10hrs in the water in 2,5 days. With a leaky suit, 2c in the water and only guys in the class I chewed my cheek and pulled thrugh. My neurologist was NOT happy with the story after me showing up with bruised kidneys and rhabdomyolisis after climbing the stairs.

I heard about the rain in Plura. Two of my friends were up there for newyears. Normally never rains during winter up there.
Plura is a gorgeous cave. You can do quite serious cavediving there. Personally I prefer the section behind the airchamber from 5-60m depth. Not very long, but OH so beatiful. There is also Litjåga, a tighter cave about and hour away, and quite a few drycaving opportunities. If you go south to Rørvik, you have a few more caves. (these are tight). And at Hitra you can get superb ocean diving. Kelpforest. Narvik is of course a must see. And Lofoten for nature dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom