Swapping gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all.

I am about to swap my bulky console for a used brass & glass w/hose that I recently picked up here on SB. I will be removing the console (hose and all) from the first stage and replacing it with the B&G SPG and the hose that came with it.

I have not removed or replaced any hoses on my rig before, so I have a few questions:

1. Should I go ahead and replace any o-rings on the used hose just to be sure?

2. Should I coat the threads with anything before putting the replacement gauge on?

Any other pointers or words of advise regarding this swap are also welcome.

Thanks

It is very easy to make the switch. If the hose/o-ring is fairly new, most likely the old o-ring will be fine. I usually just give it a close inspection and reuse it. However, seeing as how it would be so cheap to replace, if you have any doubts go ahead and put a new o-ring on. I have some O2 compatible lube on hand, so I put a tiny amount on the o-ring, but really it is not necessary, I think some people might say not to put any lube at all. Spit would work fine just to ensure the hose can be tightened without binding the o-ring.

I would not put any lube on the threads. Just screw the new hose into the port finger tight and then snug it up slightly with a wrench. Don't put much pressure with the wrench. Thats all there is to it. Pressurize the regulator to be sure there are no leaks and you are good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom