Swapping dome ports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I'm getting more in to underwater M4/3 photography, I want to use different lens for different things. My 60 mm lens is great for small stuff and I have an 8 mm fisheye. It is necessary to swap between dome ports for these different lens. In practice, are you guys swapping dome ports all the time? Seems like a good way to flood a camera. Thanks.

Depends on the dome. I have a 5" mini dome that works fine with my Nikon 60mm. The dome will give your macro a little wider view, and lighting is harder because you can't use the port to block part of the light as you can with a flat port. The other issue you'll have is that when you're shooting macro, sometimes you're right on top of the subject and you'll find yourself scratching the dome on rocks and such-add on lenses won't work with it either. That said, I often keep my mini dome on for weeks at a time for the convenience and avoiding the risk of flooding due to a fouled o-ring while swapping ports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom