Suunto Zoop vs Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runsongas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking to pickup either a Suunto Zoop or Vyper wrist computer. Wanted some feedback as to what the differences are between the two and which one is the better value. I don't feel I will need a lot of the features on the Vyper at this point still, so I was leaning towards getting the zoop. Also probably sticking with a brass and glass spg and compass.

Zoop it is then.

I have had both and there is not really much for me to justify the price increase. I don't use 'Gauge' mode and I don't find the lack of a backlight a problem. I never used it when night diving, preferring to use my torch.

what he said.

I dive with a Vyper and a Gekko (which is almost same as the Zoop) and don't bother with the additional features on the Vyper, except for downloading dives. But I think they enabled download on the Zoop so that's not even a difference anymore. (This is apparently possible on the Gekko through a hack.)

What they both said.

I've owned both. The only differences between the two, other than price, is the vyper has gauge mode and a backlight. Personally I don't care for the back light I find it awkward to use in thick gloves and the phosphorescent light on the Zoop works well. If you will be moving into tech diving in the near future the vyper might be a better option due to gauge mode if not I'd buy the Zoop, but a black one not the yum yum yellow one.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 10:00 PM ----------

Which ever one you buy, if you're wrist mounting buy a DSS bungee mount for it.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=48

Last edited:
Have an orange zoop which replaced a dead vyper. Like the simplicity of the Zoop. Find it easier to navigate. You can download but I think it has a bit less data then some computers. But I dive two computers (other is an Aeris) so I can get detailed temp profile data from the Aeris if I want.

WE have 1 Vyper, 2 Gekkos, and 1 Zoop. I dive every dive with BOTH a Vyper and a Gekko or Zoop. I bought the Vyper before the Gekko was introduced. If the Gekko was available, I would not have bought the Vyper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom