SUUNTO Zoop Novo questions about PO2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey,
I just got my SUUNTO Zoop Novo and want to verify what the PO2 of 0.3 means when I set up my Nitrox setting for 1.4 PO2. I haven't had in the water but just want to make sure I understand this better before I dive next month. It's on the screen that shows surface time of 0 and No fly -0, I set up for 32% O2 and the right bottom corner says 0.3. Thank you for any help!

The 1.4 is only about alarms really. Try settin* the computer to 21% (aka air) and see what the 0.3 does. I guess it will change to 0.2 indicating it is your current ppO2.

For regular open circuit diving current ppO2 isn’t a terribly useful number, you just don’t exceed the MOD and your ppO2 will be fine.

I am not sure whether that particular computer reverts to air if not used for a couple of days. Whatever, it may be better to leave it on air until you actually analyse the gas on the day. If you forget to change for air to (measured) 32% the only issue is shorter NDL times, if you leave it on 32% and don’t notice but dive air you might actuall6 exceed your NDL without realising.

Simply put, if you were breathing 32% Nitrox mix at the surface the partial pressure of oxygen would be roughly .3. If you do the math it computes (in fact it computes to .32).

What your computer is showing in you in the display is the current PPO2 at your current depth for the mix you programmed.

When you set the o2 percentage and then chose 1.4PPO2...you basically programed your computer to calculate your MOD based on a PPO2 of 1.4. That has nothing to do with the "current PPO2" display.

Whether it is useful to see your current/actual PPO2 during the dive is something that can be debated, it is a feature that you can use or ignore. One way it can be used is if you programmed your computer for 1.4 and used that as your MOD, but for some reason you saw something interesting and wanted to go slightly deeper knowing that you technically can dive relatively safely to PPO2 of 1.6, you can monitor the display of your current PPO2 to ensure you don't exceed a PPO2 of 1.6. This is not a recommended way to dive but folks do it from time to time.

Bottom line, your computer is functioning normally.

-Z

I am not sure whether that particular computer reverts to air if not used for a couple of days

It doesn't reset, at least after 34 days. Haven't tried it longer.

Not sure if you've dived the watch much but if you press the down and up buttons in dive mode it'll show you more interesting things instead of the ppo2/oxygen limit fraction, such as the time, temperature, and max depth.

After taking my Nitrox class I made a video of how to use Nitrox on the Zoop Novo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom