Suunto Zoop in Er mode for no apparent reason?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qbantek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

Last Friday morning (Sunday night now) I did 2 relatively easy shallow reef dives (~30'-35'), mostly looking for lobster.

I probably dove that reef more than 40 times already and since I know the topography and the depth in the area, other than checking my air every once in a while I didn't pay too much attention to my Compass or my Diving Computer and focused on the search.

At the the end of the first dive and while already on the boat, the Zoop started beeping and it was showing an Er message. I didn't know what to make of it, so I went back to my second dive using Casio watch as a backup. The dive computer continued to be locked and I did my second safety stop using the watch instead of the Zoop.

Back at home I read the manual online and it mentions it might go into error if it 'thinks' I have increased the risk of DCI and not followed directions to decompress. Again, I was diving at ~30', and I do not recollect any alarms (sound is ON), my ascents were normal and did my 3 mins SS as usual. The alert came up in the boat (or at least I noticed it in the boat) which was strange to me.

It also mentions that it should be locked for 48 hrs and then return to normal state. It's been now 8 hrs after the first 48 hrs were gone and it continues to show the Er message

I had this Suunto Zoop for more than 3 years, and its probably due for a battery replacement (I think the manufacturer suggest to change it every 2 years), although I did not get any low battery alerts.

I wish I could at least download the data using the USB interface to get a better idea of what is going on.

What do you think? Broken? Wait some more time? Replace the battery????

Thank you,

Update: Monday morning, almost 72 hrs since last dive and the Zoop is still showing an Er message.

I don’t have a zoop, but I would interpret that display as saying you are currently at 15 feet, that you have a decompression ceiling at 29 feet, must descend, have been diving for 999 minutes, and the battery is low.

Assuming you’re not actually at 15 feet underwater, the pressure sensor is defective and/or the battery is in need of replacement.

Yes, it is showing 15 ft underwater above the water level. I ordered a battery replacement online.
Thanks.

Suunto had a big issue with pressure sensor malfunction

My advice is not to replace the battery so Suunto does not place blame on you and void the warranty due to "unauthorized dealer" battery installation.

The battery does look low, but low battery is just an icon, not the err message.

Contact Suunto per previous post and you may luck out with a newer model as replacement..

I just did the process for the class action claim. Printed a UPS label and will ship it tomorrow.
If they admit is their fault: great!

Thank you all.

I just did the process for the class action claim. Printed a UPS label and will ship it tomorrow.
If they admit is their fault: great!

Thank you all.

The serial number is key. Class settlement is predicated on date of manufacture and receipt. The SUUNTO settlement page has all the details.

Any hope for a Zoop bought in Korea? We are also getting the same error message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom