Suunto Vytec - Error in pressure reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
I've recently noticed that the Suunto Vytec pressure reading is about 200 psi less than the true pressure. I've checked this against two separate gauges and find the same thing. The 200 psi difference is consistent at various tank pressures. Anyone else notice any discrepancies in the Vytec's pressure reading?

The pressure transducer is the problem, not uncommon. I had two UWATECs do the samething. If it is still under warranty send it in for adjustment and/or replacement.

Less than a 10% discrepancy. No big deal. I can't imagine that you plan your gas needs to within a 200 psi margin. And I sure hope you don't plan to end a dive with less than 300 psi in your tank!

theskull

SPGs are typically calibrated on a 0-5000psi range it so in realtiy it is 4% which is out of spec for the transducer. It should be within 0.5% from the factory. If it was under a 1-2% I might say not do worry about it but given that it is a larger amount I would send it off to be looked at because it could be a sign of other problems - like it is about to fail completely. Analog SPGs are with in 1% from the factory +/- 50psi.

I would take it and your transmitter into your LDS and have them send it to Aqualung for repair. 200 psi today....what tomorrow?

Is it still under warranty and did you buy it from an authorized dealer?

I bought it mailorder from Simply Scuba (UK), so can't take it to LDS. It's over 4 years old anyway so I doubt the LDS would have been much help even if I had bought it from them.

Suunto's have a five year prorated warranty so you have some hope. That said, the only way you can get it checked is through a local shop who must then send it to AquaLung. AquaLung will not accept products directly. Of course if it is gray market AquaLung may say sorry as they are pretty strict about not servicing gray market products. Not sure what the rules are for buying from outside the USA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom