Suunto Vyper Air Black - Compass Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichWilx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I have just picked up my new Suunto Vyper Air Black and cant wait to get into the water with it. Running through the manual, I have been testing it out and - frustratingly - cannot seem to get the compass working. It just sits on North.

I have tried calibrating, and again, the little "dot" just stays stationary as I turn. I have been out into fields in the middle of nowhere, to avoid any interference from power-lines, building structures, cars etc, and still no good.

Have I missed something really obvious or is there a problem with the pooter?

Thanks, Rich

Thanks, but that's not it. The compass simply doesn't move at all. It doesn't matter how slowly I move it..... It is stuck on North.

Rich,

Make sure that the computer is level when you rotate. Also, make sure that you are not spinning to quickly. If that does not work then you will need to send your computer in to an authorized service center. Let me know if you are still unable to calibrate your compass.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Thanks Chris. Holding it absolutely level and then turning *very* slowly did the trick. The compass now works fine :)

Rich,

Glad to hear! Now get out there and dive, dive, dive!! Enjoy your computer and let me know if you ever have any questions.

Best Regards & Safe Diving,
Chris from Suunto

Hey Chris,

I am having the same issue and doing as mentioned I get no movement from the dot no matter how slow/fast or angle....is there any other tricks you could advise? I bought the unit used over the weekend, owner said he bought it new few years ago and used it 6 times then stored. Battery was dead so I replaced, log shows 6 dives with a 2010 date on them so I believe seller as I dont believe these logs are resetable very easily. Is it possible the compass could have stoped working? I have tried all I can think of and today took it to a LDS who said he thought it may he broken. Any help is appreciated. ..thanks.

Hey Chris,

I am having the same issue and doing as mentioned I get no movement from the dot no matter how slow/fast or angle....is there any other tricks you could advise? I bought the unit used over the weekend, owner said he bought it new few years ago and used it 6 times then stored. Battery was dead so I replaced, log shows 6 dives with a 2010 date on them so I believe seller as I dont believe these logs are resetable very easily. Is it possible the compass could have stoped working? I have tried all I can think of and today took it to a LDS who said he thought it may he broken. Any help is appreciated. ..thanks.

I had a hard time getting the initial calibration too.

Go outside, and away from as much external metal as possible. Hold the compass as level as possible and rotate your body very slowly.

It took me some time to get it too. I'm not discarding my "analog" compass anytime soon :)

ocorvera,

If the instructions I have mentioned in early posts, and your LDS is saying there may be an issue then there is always a possibility of a compass malfunction. If you try to calibrate the compass a few more times with no luck, then you may want to consider sending your computer in to an authorized service center. Please follow the link provided to locate the nearest authorized Suunto service center:
Suunto Dealer Locator to send your computer in for evaluation.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom