Suunto pressure sensor failure common problem.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFS

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not impressed at all with the reliability of Suunto products. I have had depth sensor failures on 5 of my suunto computers which includes mosquito, cobra, vytec and 2 D9!! The first 4 failed within 2 years of use. Horrible track record for a product line. I have always rinsed my computers off in fresh water immediatly after diving. I have just sent in my second D9 to BARE and they confirmed sensor failure. Suunto will not do anything in regards to repairing my product. Obviously they have a sensor issue and won't acknowledge it. I have never heard of other manufacturers with such problems.

JFS,

No that has not been my experience. I've been using an original D9 since 2005. All salt water and nothing below 140'. Though the receiver for the tank transmitter is starting to get a little week and briefly falls off once or twice a dive the rest of the computer is solid. I've also had a Zoop as a backup for about 2.5 years with no issues.

What kind of diving are you doing? Could it be bacteria or fungous? Are you diving extremely deep?

Hi,
I'm sorry that you've had such bad experiences with our devices. As already mentioned there are environmental impacts that contribute to pressure sensor failures and we improved them in 2012 in order to make them more resistent. Further we've extended the warranty in these cases to ease the process. I hope that this will be handled to your satisfaction. Don't hesitate to contact me should you have further questions.

br, Hendrik

Hendrik,

Could you recap or provide a link to the original discussion of the environmental conditions that effect the pre-2012 sensors? Google let me down and I would like to avoid the sensor of my old D9 failing though I rarely dive it anymore I do wear it as a backup occasionally.

Hi, Off the top of my head: excessive pool use and improper rinsing methods (too rough). However, it's pretty heard to define specifics as there were no real patterns, meaning that there are plenty of sensors that are just working fine although exposed to unfortunate conditions. After the change we've got most of this sorted out but it's still a precision instrument that needs to be handled with care. So going by the maintenance guide in the manual is most advisable. br Hendrik

Since 2004 I have replaced the batteries to close to 1,000 dive computers. After doing so, I pressure test them in water to approximately 165 feet. Out of all the computers I´ve serviced (about half of them have been Suuntos), I precisely experienced "sudden pressure sensor death" with three Vypers. There was definitively something wrong with the pressure sensor in this Suunto model. Since the last "accident" I declined changing the battery to Vypers. I am glad to learn that Suunto acknowledges that there were "factors" affecting the life of the pressure sensor in some of their models, and did something about it.

Last edited:
The thread is ild, but for those who like to followup this stuff or still are suffering from faulty Suunto sensors (myself have a ****** sensors D6 and had a Gekko also with same priblem, will never buy Suunto again):

Home | Suunto Dive Computer Settlement

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...-suunto-dive-computer-class-action-settlement

Unfortunately, Suunto are not going into worldwide recall (probably too much loss of $$$ for Suunto) but at least in the US and some specific models there is a settlement...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom