Suunto PC interface comms protocol - similar for different Suuntos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
I've just bought a used Suunto Stinger to have as a backup computer, but I'm not able to find a USB PC interface for it. So, I'm wondering about DIYing a cradle/adapter and using the Cobra interface cable I've already got. But if it's going to work, the voltages and comms protocol have to be identical.

When I look at the diagrams on this guy's DIY pages, it seems as if he's using the same circuitry regardless of computer model, so that's an indication that the protocol is identical for the two models. However, I'm far from certain.

Are there anyone here who actually knows if the Stinger uses the same protocol as the newer Suuntos? If it does, I might get around my problem by making a simple mechanical adapter - something that's within my abilities.

The Stinger uses the same protocol as the others (D3/Cobra/Vyper/Vytec/HelO2) so it is just a matter of the connection. That is if the software will recognize the computer. For instance, some do not recognize the HelO2. But that is a simple matter of an update. Obviously Suunto DM does support it.

Thanks!

I'll just cross my fingers that Dive Log recognizes the Stinger, then :)

--
Sent from my mobile
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom