Suunto Mosquito, Keep Or Sell?

Read 1st Post Before Voting....Should I keep a Suunto Mosquito?

• Keep it, and use as a primary computer

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Keep it, but use it as a back-up

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Sell it, and put the money towards something more modern!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Throw it in the trash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was lucky enough to be given a Suunto Mosquito recently. The battery is dead, but the previous owner said that it was working when they last used it. I don't have my own dive computer, but I was thinking about getting an entry level model like a Suunto Zoop or Cressi Leonardo or something similar. However, I've now had this Mosquito fall into my lap and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

So, should I keep it? Is it any good? If I do keep it, should I use it as my primary or as a back-up? I'll be buying a battery kit no matter what to see if it works at all, so this is assuming it still works fine.

Vote in the poll!

Thanks

It depends on what your needs are and what type of diving you do. The Mosquito is an entry level air/nitrox (up to 50% EANx) wrist/watch dive computer (one mix). It is very light on the wrist and the battery is user replaceable.

I have one and it works just fine. I use it in my dive school for the students use in our entry level courses (one of several other Suunto computers).

If it works all OK after the battery/o'ring replacements, I'd keep it for sure.

I'd keep it, it does the same or more than the Zoop. Probably uses the same algorithm also - Suunto RGBM. That's not a bad thing for an infrequent diver.

It does Air/Nitrox/Free mode. Their current download kit works with it also: Amazon.com : Suunto PC Download Kit (USB) for Cobra, Mosquito, Vyper... if you want to log/track your dives.

Besides that it powers up, you want to verify that it's still functioning correctly. There was an issue with some of them having inaccurate depth sensor problems at one time - google it - but here's one reference. Wristwatch computer recc?? Suunto Mosquito great/crap?+

It depends on what your needs are and what type of diving you do. The Mosquito is an entry level air/nitrox (up to 50% EANx) wrist/watch dive computer (one mix). It is very light on the wrist and the battery is user replaceable.

I have one and it works just fine. I use it in my dive school for the students use in our entry level courses (one of several other Suunto computers).

If it works all OK after the battery/o'ring replacements, I'd keep it for sure.

I just do recreational dives, nothing fancy, I'd mostly be using it as a depth gauge, timer, and ascent speed indicator. I've never dove with a computer, I've done fine with tables, so for me this would just be a fancy depth gauge.

Toss a battery in it and come in to the future with a computer. The ability to do multiple level dives with a computer is really the way to dive.

One question on battery replacement for the Mosquito, I read some posts about lubricating the o-ring, but the Suunto video on how to the replacement doesn't appear to show this step. Is it required? If so, what should I use? Would a light swipe with petroleum jelly work?

Would a light swipe with petroleum jelly work?
Petroleum based products break down o-rings over time so not a good plan. It's not really a swipe either - too much is bad also. Just put a little on your fingers and rub the o-ring completely - then remove any excess. Be particularly anal about inspecting it for hair/dirt etc. before you seal it with the cover.

Your shop will have something like this also:

o-ring grease for scuba - Google Search

Petroleum based products break down o-rings over time so not a good plan. It's not really a swipe either - too much is bad also. Just put a little on your fingers and rub the o-ring completely - then remove any excess. Be particularly anal about inspecting it for hair/dirt etc. before you seal it with the cover.

Your shop will have something like this also:

o-ring grease for scuba - Google Search

Thanks, didn't know that about petroleum jelly, good thing I asked!

I used one for ten years.
Pick up a new battery - CR2032 from memory.
Remove the battery cover with a small coin and change out the battery.
Gently remove the o-ring from the battery cover, add a touch of silicone grease - just enough to make the o-ring shiny all over and re-assemble. Be careful that the battery compartment sealing surfaces are spotlessly clean when re-assembling.

These are a perfectly good computer assuming it fires up properly after a battery change. They are equivalent to a Zoop. Do confirm the pressure sensor is reading accurate depth during your first dive by comparing to another computer or known good depth gauge. The pressure sensors can sometimes fail with age.

One final note - don't strap it on really, really tight over a wetsuit, the back of the unit needs a little access to the water in order to operate properly.

I used one for ten years.
Pick up a new battery - CR2032 from memory.
Remove the battery cover with a small coin and change out the battery.
Gently remove the o-ring from the battery cover, add a touch of silicone grease - just enough to make the o-ring shiny all over and re-assemble. Be careful that the battery compartment sealing surfaces are spotlessly clean when re-assembling.

These are a perfectly good computer assuming it fires up properly after a battery change. They are equivalent to a Zoop. Do confirm the pressure sensor is reading accurate depth during your first dive by comparing to another computer or known good depth gauge. The pressure sensors can sometimes fail with age.

One final note - don't strap it on really, really tight over a wetsuit, the back of the unit needs a little access to the water in order to operate properly.

Thanks for the tips. I ordered a kit from amazon that includes a new cover, o-ring, battery, and contact plate(?)....just $8.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom