Suunto Favor vs Companion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunk_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
What vintage are these computers and which would be the better buy? I cannot work it out from the manual available on line.
I will probably use one as a backup. I don’t need a nitrox capable unit at the moment.

Thanks

I bought my Favor new between 1993 and 1997, if that helps. Still works fine, with a few battery changes. I couldn't tell you how the model aligns with current thinking.

How much are you looking to spend on one?

There was an issue with those computers that if the battery was removed for longer than a handful of seconds or the battery was completely dead that it would pretty much brick the computer. If you are looking at paying more than $20 - $25, I would recommend investing in something newer despite not needing all the features.

-Z

I just read through the manuals for both and from what I could tell the Favor (I was looking at the manual for the Favor S) seems to be the better of the two but not by much.

The companion seemed like it had a graphic display for decompression stops if one finds themselves in a position where they incur a deco obligation. But it does not seem like there is an ascent rate indicator which to me is more important.

The Favor indicates deco but not with little bars on the left side....and it does have a graphic ascent rate indicator.

I think other than that the two are extremely close in functions. Unlike the generation of computers that came after these that have both a personal conservancy and altitude adjustment, these two computers have altitude and you adjust the altitude setting when diving at altitude or you want to make the computer more conservative to suit your self (no separate personal setting).

Which ever you purchase, make sure you personally check that the computer functions because once the battery is completely drained or removed for more than 30 to 60 seconds the computer bricks and cannot be restored. Suunto does not offer any support for these.

The battery is CR1/2AA and the o-ring for the battery cover is size 023 and 70A durometer.

I was given a Suunto Octopus II computer a handful of years ago that had a dead battery. I purchased a new battery and o-rings only to find out the darn thing was bricked. I vaguely recall reading that the computer's program is stored in the volatile memory module so once without power for a period of time the programming is lost.

I don't think either the Favor or Companion is a bad choice, but I would not consider them all that good a choice either, but I suppose they would suffice as a backup. I still recommend purchasing something more up to date.

Just my thoughts.

-Z

Thanks for the info.
I was leaning towards the Favor just because the online manuals looks more modern but I suppose that could have been a red herring.
I would only be using for coastal dives, and probably not too many as I am just getting back into it (I used dive tables last time!)
Luckily the batteries in the units I was looking at are still working.
The seller wants more for the Champion, probably because it looks newer, and this probably just means it was used less by the owner.

Your research was much appreciated

You mentioned in the first post above that this would be a backup and then you mentioned in your last post that you dived with tables last time. I am interested to know for what you will use the Favor or Companion as a backup.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom