Suunto Eon Steel; No Longer Available? (US)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes sense as both the Core and the Steel are in the same class and the Core is the newer of the two
So the core was intended to be a slightly more affordable version of the Eon and bridged the gap between the D5 and the Eon Steel. In order to do this you need to show some degree of value or worth to entice you to the next level. Simply having a stronger case and higher depth rating - which for 99% of the users is irrelevant anyway simply isn't enough. A bit like car manufacturers and their range of different variants of the same model.

Inside the case the OS is the same - although the core has a marginally smaller capacity battery

The much awaited software update was supposed to increase the gap. If you wanted Buhlmann then you'd have to buy the Eon Steel (even though there's no technical reason why the Core couldn't have it)

Where we unfortunately are now, is that the Core has the newer Firmware that uses Fused RGBM2 while Eon Steel owners are still awaiting their Firmware upgrade which understandably niggles people

I feel pretty safe in stating that I'm probably the only person on SB who runs Eon alongside a Buhlmann computer. I've done a lot of repetitive diving (max sequence is 48 back to back dives) and I'll put them into Deco regularly but for not longer than 20-30 mins. My experience is that having Buhlmann alone wouldn't be a strong enough reason to choose the Steel over the Core.

Hopefully Suunto will give the Steel one or two new features that for some make the price difference more easily justifiable - Side Mount support is one that springs to mind, given that it's inability to display 2 gases simultaneously means it lags behind the Shearwater and Ratio models.

If I were at Suunto I'd be looking hard at the cost justification. Do they invest the required time/money to give the Steel greater feature separation from the Core to help justifying its higher price or do they let the Steel quietly die, making the Core Firmware updates available to Steel users, putting the core at the top of their range?

Suunto have moved heavily into sports/fitness watches which are clearly a good revenue stream, but they still have a strong dive computer brand but who knows their long term goals and objectives.

If the Eon (Core&Steel) is going to continue it needs to up it's game. I wouldn't suggest it has the gimmicks of the Ratio - but it does needs to match some of the features of it and the Shearwater range, while playing to it's strengths of better screen, better data display and much better UI

Or maybe Suunto is looking at the Garmin Descent and wondering if that's a better route to take? No doubt Covid has shaken things up. Fortunately for me both my Steels are still okay but maybe in 2 years I'll be looking to upgrade, and I hope by that time Suunto has something for me (as I'd miss their graphical layout)

Reactions: GRH
Now I noticed the Suunto Eon Steel is 50% off on the Suunto Web site. A sign it is going to be discontinued and/or replaced with a new model?

Suunto Eon Core Has New Features With Software Version 2.0. Features Not Available for Suunto Eon Steel at Version 1.6.5. 6 Years Waiting for Functionality Fixes.

Suunto Eon Core Has New Features With Software Version 2.0. Features Not Available for Suunto Eon Steel at Version 1.6.5. 10 Years Waiting for Functionality Fixes.
Eon Steel announced in 2014, arrive on the shelves 2015. When I went to school that was only 5/6 years

What are these functionality fixes you speak of? With the exception of showing 2 gas contents at same time for SM users. What functionality is your Eon missing?

I received my Eon Steel back after having Suunto do the Bühlmann Upgrade.

Firmware listed as v 2.5.149

A couple weeks after sending it to Suunto in Utah I called to check status. I asked the agent if the Eon Steel was being discontinued. I was told Suunto was planning an updated model of the Eon Steel.

Keep in mind who I was talking to and there weren’t many details but good to hear there might be plans to continue and improve the line. Hopefully, if there is a new version of the Eon Steel, the existing version will be able to take advantage of future upgrades. Not that I even needed the Bühlmann Upgrade.

I just sent mine in for the algo update. I've had it since 2015 so we'll see what other repairs/updates they want to make. As for new hardware, 6 years is an eternity for consumer hardware. I imagine the EON Steel Black (http://ns.suunto.com/Manuals/EONSte...N-Steel-Safety-and-Regulatory-Information.pdf) is right around the corner.

Screenshot.png

Reactions: GRH
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom