Suunto Eon Steel - faulty - not connecting to PC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Suunto Eon Steel is refusing to talk to DM5 on any PC.

It has worked fine for a few years. Now it's just stopped connecting. I've loaded DM5 on new clean PC and still it is not recognised, other Eons talk fine to the PC, with the same lead. I've tried multiple leads and PCs.
It charges OK and still performs fine as a dive computer, so far I think !.
It logs dives and connects to my iphone/movescount just fine.

Suunto are saying a fault caused by the usb lead charging and are quoting £185 to change the main board.

Is this not an inherent fault of manufacture ?

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Why in Jesus' butthole are you bothering with DM5?! It's a horrendous piece of software.

Download Subsurface and see if you're still having issues. That will tell you if it's your Eon Steel, or DM5. Even if the problem is your Eon Steel, DM5 is still the problem and you should never think about it again. If you can afford it, take whatever computer you've got it installed on and set it on fire. Preferably with something that burns much hotter than gasoline.

Seriously, sometimes DM5 just decides that it no longer wants to function with a specific computer. Why? I dunno, because it's Thursday? Because somewhere in Australia a kangaroo licked it's left ball first? It will work fine with other computers, with any number of cables, but for one computer it just decides that it doesn't feel like functioning. Plug that computer into any other software, Subsurface, Divelog, MacDive, and it works flawlessly.

@John McMahon

I have exactly the same problem;
Suddenly my Suunto Eon Steel does not connect to any PC i tried with Vista or Woindows 10, nor he show up in the device manager.
It will not connect either to any other Dive Logbook Software on this planet.

I can connect to the horrible MoveScount App using Bluetooth, but i have the Screen stuck how i don't want it and cant change that.

Could you fix that problem or ypou are just living with it?

Thanks so much!

Chris

@John McMahon

I have exactly the same problem;
Suddenly my Suunto Eon Steel does not connect to any PC i tried with Vista or Woindows 10, nor he show up in the device manager.
It will not connect either to any other Dive Logbook Software on this planet.

I can connect to the horrible MoveScount App using Bluetooth, but i have the Screen stuck how i don't want it and cant change that.

Could you fix that problem or ypou are just living with it?

Thanks so much!

Chris

Hello,

Suunto said that the comms port on the Eon was damaged by an incorrect USB supply ! Not something I have encountered before with ANY scuba USB charged device, and certainly not anything you could control whilst USB charging on a liveaboard for example.

I did not really believe that to be so, and just presumed they were condemning the Eon instead of fixing what I thought was a bad connector. (see below) It appears that the only repair is to replace the complete motherboard.

Anyway, after much, much, discussions my excellent scuba retailer managed to get them to replace the entire internals for the cost of a service.

Interestingly my original 1st batch in the UK Eon had a 'brass' coloured comm pins and the 'new' 2019 internals have 'stainless' coloured pins.

In the meantime I purchased a Shearwater Perdix AI and a Teric. Suunto lost me as a customer and I tell everyone I meet. The now working Eon is in the draw un-used.

All the best with yours.

John

Thanks John, very kind!

I wrote Suunto today and will post what they answer me.

However, the faulty USB port is BS, i used the Eon Steel always on the same USB port on my laptop, either to download the data or to charge it.
Yes, i have the golden pin's as well, so ther is probably a problem with the first batch.
Also i have problems that - like the Galileo Luna for example - the computer don't switsch off and drain the battery over night.
Sometimes it worked to clean the contacts with soap and a scrubbing pad, sometimes to dry the contacts and sometimes nothing helped.

However, i had all my scuba life Suunto computers and they brought me back without any dcs problems in far more than 5000 dives,
BUT, surprisingly all died around 600-800 dives...
I started with a original EON, then a Vyper, then two Cobra, then a D6 then a Dx and then the EON Steel.
All except the Vyper had issues, either they died around 600 dive ,
The pressure sensor of the first Cobra died on the plane from Switzerland to Brazil, replaced after hard discussions by Italian Suunto Representative
all 4 Dx i bought together with my employees had stuck buttons, repaired for free by Italian Suunto Representative
the D6 and the D9 both worked without issues, but i sold them with about 600 dives each
the Eon Steel, well i will see what will happen,
unfortunately technisun, the old (very knowledgable) Italian Suunto Represantive lost Suunto as customer and Suunto switsched to Beuchat as representative for Italy, but euchat has zero experience with Suunto, so i guess they will be of no help.

really like the EON Steel as it has a nice display and work perfectly synchron with my Posideon SE7EN Rebreather,
but i am tempted to get a Shearwater Perdix too as i am disappointed about Suunto's customer service and that they refuse to admit faulty hardware.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Chris

Suunto said that the comms port on the Eon was damaged by an incorrect USB supply !

USB has 4 pins: +5 v, ground: for power, and two pins for comms. I'm sure it's possible for the "incorrect power supply" to fry the pins it isn't actually using... or are they saying the pins are actually physically damaged by forcing in a wrong $100 Suunto cable?

Hello,

Suunto said that the comms port on the Eon was damaged by an incorrect USB supply ! Not something I have encountered before with ANY scuba USB charged device, and certainly not anything you could control whilst USB charging on a liveaboard for example.

I did not really believe that to be so, and just presumed they were condemning the Eon instead of fixing what I thought was a bad connector. (see below) It appears that the only repair is to replace the complete motherboard.

Anyway, after much, much, discussions my excellent scuba retailer managed to get them to replace the entire internals for the cost of a service.

Interestingly my original 1st batch in the UK Eon had a 'brass' coloured comm pins and the 'new' 2019 internals have 'stainless' coloured pins.

In the meantime I purchased a Shearwater Perdix AI and a Teric. Suunto lost me as a customer and I tell everyone I meet. The now working Eon is in the draw un-used.

All the best with yours.

John
Possible causes may be rooted in some other components not immediately apparent. My first thought is whether you might have been using a bargain priced USB charger - think "Dollar Store." If you do a web search you will find various articles on cheap, faulty, or erratic USB chargers and cables. I don't think very many manufacturers do a good job of warning consumers to be cautious when choosing a power supply for charging, and this might be one of those instances.

or erratic USB chargers and cables.

USB Charger could be, USB-Cable not in the case of the EON Steel as he has his own cable with special plug to connect the computer.

But i have problems with some non-OEM USB-Cables not enable fast charge on my cell phone even if cable is fast-charge "cerified"
also some show very slow download speeds.

However, if a slightly out of range charger will fry the USB cirquit on the EON Steel, then the USB circuit is bad engineered, point.
I never had this problem with any of my cell phones, lamps, external disks, power banks, etc

Still no answer by SUUNTO...

I start to guess that i have to check for other dive computers even if i like the EON Steel screen layout.

Chris

Possible causes may be rooted in some other components not immediately apparent. My first thought is whether you might have been using a bargain priced USB charger - think "Dollar Store." If you do a web search you will find various articles on cheap, faulty, or erratic USB chargers and cables. I don't think very many manufacturers do a good job of warning consumers to be cautious when choosing a power supply for charging, and this might be one of those instances.

Yeah, you take a bad charger with data pins not even connected, it damages "some other" components between the power supply circuit and the comms circuit, and it does it in a way that only fries the USB comms. Interesting circuit design Suunto has...

A car -- my favourite kind -- analogy is you can't drive stick and grind your synchromeshes down to where your speedo always reads 0. Which is doable, I suppose, but then your wheels are not turning also.

USB Charger could be, USB-Cable not in the case of the EON Steel as he has his own cable with special plug to connect the computer.

But i have problems with some non-OEM USB-Cables not enable fast charge on my cell phone even if cable is fast-charge "cerified"
also some show very slow download speeds.

However, if a slightly out of range charger will fry the USB cirquit on the EON Steel, then the USB circuit is bad engineered, point.
I never had this problem with any of my cell phones, lamps, external disks, power banks, etc

Still no answer by SUUNTO...

I start to guess that i have to check for other dive computers even if i like the EON Steel screen layout.

Chris

Weird usb charging issues plague a lot of consumer electronics because of poorly designed chargers that are essentially shorting across wires they aren't supposed to:

What’s going on with Nintendo Switch’s USB-C charging cables?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom