Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P-Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This may have been addressed elsewhere. If so, I apologize.

I am having a heck of a time with my Suunto Eon Core and glare/refection issues in the sun. I was diving today on a bright sunny day and my computer was, essentially, a dark rectangle on my wrist. Sun was streaming into a cave I was in at 25 ft (8 meters) deep and I couldn't read the screen. I was using the compass to navigate at at 15 feet (5 meters) and couldn't see a thing. Couldn't see how much air I had left. Couldn't see the compass. Nothing.

I have the brightness set at the highest setting to try and combat the glare issue.

Should I get some sort of anti-glare screen protector? Will that help? If so, is there one that is recommended?

I have an eon core, I love it. However, I have exactly the same problem on shallow, sunny dives or stops. Mercifully that is not often a problem in the UK. It is great at depth. This is no solution, but for very shallow dives I use my trusty dive timer. I hope someone actually helps you.

I have an eon core, I love it. However, I have exactly the same problem on shallow, sunny dives or stops. Mercifully that is not often a problem in the UK. It is great at depth. This is no solution, but for very shallow dives I use my trusty dive timer. I hope someone actually helps you.
I sure hope so, too. I love this computer, but, living in Hawai'i, sunny days prevail. I need to find a solution.

The simple solution is to move your arm so that the computer screen is shaded.

I shielded it with my body and my hand. I moved to a different area. Nothing works. That simple solution doesn't work. This is not the first time I've had this problem.

My solution is looking like selling it and getting the G2.

I have the option of buying one of these with the transmitter new for about $725 shipped. Has anyone found a solution for the glare issue yet? How about some kind of matte screen protector?

I have the option of buying one of these with the transmitter new for about $725 shipped. Has anyone found a solution for the glare issue yet? How about some kind of matte screen protector?

I've started wearing it on the inside of my wrist. I haven't had any issues since then.

I've also purchased a matte screen protector, but haven't needed to put it on.

$725 is a smoking deal.

It would smoke more if you could use the thing in sunlight. Suunto is really dropping the ball in the last few years. But that's why we have Shearwater.

This may not be enough, but you know you can turn up the brightness in the settings, right?

I've never had an issue reading my core underwater in bright sunlight. Only on the surface. Once trying to set a compass bearing on the surface I had a glare issue but solve by putting the core 1 inch below the surface and reading it with my head still above water.

I recently replaced my worn screen protector with a Matte surfaced one from amazon. As far as I can tell it made no difference underwater but made it harder to read above water than the original smooth screen protector.

And as for this comment:
But that's why we have Shearwater.
I respectfully disagree. I've compared the screens of the Eon Core and Perdix above and below water and found the Eon superior. That said both are very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom