Suunto D9 Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meister481

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a D9 that needs to go back sometime this winter for the upgrade. Has anyone here had it done? how long did it take? I'd like to get it done between dives so I will have all my dives logged on my pc.

My D9 just came back on Friday (Oct. 27th). It took about 3-1/2 weeks from the time I dropped it off until it was received at my LDS. All the settings were off and my log was erased so make sure that you download everything before sending it out.

It used to be 2~3 weeks....

I can't send it to Sunnto, even after getting all return information. LOL~~~~

I might get another computer as a back up in the meantime.....:wink:

Mine took about 3 weeks.

I have a nitek he, but no means to download the dives. The suunto site said 2 weeks so I expected twice that. Good to hear I won't be without it for months. Thanks for the responses.

I hate to mention this and open up a can of worms, but my LDS refused to send off a D9 because it was not purchased directly from them. Shop employee said he would do it, but when the owner walked in, he said no. The D9 was new in the box and had never even been in the water. The owner made a lot of negative comments, but stopped just short of accusing me of stealing the computer! He also said I could have bought it from someone who may have stolen it, even after I explained it was not a gray market purchase! I've been dealing with this shop for 12+ years, and I teach in the area, so you can imagine my shock.

Suunto and AquaLung customer service both told me there should be no problem taking it to any LDS who sells AquaLung for the upgrade, but I got a big surprise. I don't pretend to know all of the rules, but I just followed instructions. Luckily the computer can be sent directly to the company if an LDS won't send it.

Now it's time for me to take another look at where my loyalties will be placed, but there are plenty of other discussions about LDS vs. other places to buy. I won't get in to that right now, but I will say most of my support will go to those who will support me.

Just wanted to make everyone aware.

Actually, I got two emails from the shop and Sunnto. Sunnto email indicated that I can send it to them directly if you have any problem. Sure, it must be registered equipment, not from the gray market. However, it is a normal practice to upgrade the gray market item in case of the recall.. At least, SP used to do that as I remember.

That's is a typical model of LDS. So, you don't know who is your friend unitl you got in trouble. :wink:

I may be being naive but what is the upgrade for? I have a D9, does it need upgrading??

Thanks.
How serious is this as my wife dives with a stinger and we dive together and returning the computer will be a real pain. I'm thinking about waiting a few months and sending it off when I know I'll be out of the water for a while. Has anyone got any comments?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom