Suunto D9 and SeaLife Strobe interfere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veryfastrunner2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I use a Suunto D9 with wireless transmitter and a Sealife DC800 with 2 strobes. Recently the watch reads "fail" when placed near the battery compartment of the strobe head. Moving the watch away will re-activate. However, underwater I will not always notice the watch de-activating. When the watch "fails" no PSI is recorded. I have also written to Suunto for their input. Any help or past similar experiences would be helpful.

Andy

I've used a D9 with a DC1200 elite (one strobe) and have not have a problem with transmitter reception. I've always found that changing the D9's transmitter channel seemed to help when experiencing issues in the past.

Thanks,

Suunto wrote back. They have experienced the same problems wth the D9 and strobes. They said the only solution would be to make sure the watch is not near the strobe. There is only a small window where this happens and I am left handed and hold the strobe in my left hand and wear my watch on my left hand. I dove last night got 52 minutes before it failed. I, on land, mounted my watch on the camera base with no problem, but am cautious about having the watch and camera connected. Very expensive if I ever drop the camera.

Thanks,

Andy

I used to have problems with strobes interfering with my wireless computers, but never with the D9. Thus far I'd assumed the transmission technology had improved, but perhaps the difference lies in the fact that I've moved my strobes further from my wrist (usually).

If I'm within 1.5 ft. of the strobe it will fail. Because I hold the strobe near the base of the strobe head seems to be the problem. I am paying more attending to position, but witthe number of items needed to address underwater, it can be tough. That is, the flag, light, lobster gauge, my buddy... This is a new problem, having been using the strobe for 2 years now, only recently, Suunto wrote back to me again and said it does not take much and the frequencies have a variance from time to time. If I can change the code underwater that may work, but I have never or are unaware ifa code and be re-set underwater. I see you can reset a code by truning off the air and turning it back on within 15 seconds, question if this is safe under watrer and my buddy would have to do it. I'll see.

I don't think you can reset the code underwater. I wouldn't recommend trying it. At best the transmitter would change but the watch won't re-sync while in dive mode. It will remember the last used code until you're back on the surface.

Thanks. Suunto may be right, the only way to avoid this is to keep the strobe head away from my watch. Dove last night, no problems, just kept the camera in my right hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom