Suunto D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajackson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need a new dive computer and have been looking at the Suunto D4i with air transmitter....can anyone give me a heads up on it? It is good enough? I am doing about 30-50 dives a year.

The straps are not very robust so if you buy one be careful you don't lose it, the strap is propriatory so cannot be swapped out. For me the numbers are too small with my aging eyes. There are some reports about AI dropouts of the Suuntos but I'm assuming you would still be using an SPG so a signal loss would be of no major concern.

Is the transmitter free with purchase of computer?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Is it good enough?"

I'm not a fan due to strap, small size, non user replaceable battery and Suuntos often nonexistant-sketchy service. YMMV.

with good enough i mean having the regular features like setting nitrox, also above 40% , and how can i change the conservatism of the algorithyms? is at conservative or not so conservatiove computer in standard setting? the straps comment concerns me a bit...

yes transmitter would come free

thanks for the comments!!

You can make the D4 more conservative in personal settings but cannot make it more liberal. Yes, it will do all a recreational OW diver needs.

If you're doing 30-50 dives a year, think about getting a computer that can be mounted in a 'bungee' wrist mount ( DSS has a wide selection of them ).....Those type computers are usually bigger, easier to read and have more options.....It may seem like a small thing, but using a bungee mount-vs-a 'belt-buckle' type strap makes a big difference....And it's a lot cheaper to replace a piece of bungee cord than a strap......And for as many complaints as have been posted on SB about Sunnto's straps you'd think they'd solve the problem, but they haven't.....They're still 'crap' !!!!

100's of Recreational dives over 3 years on a D4i, with AI, and thousands of miles of dive travel. No issues, no strap issues, maybe 2 or 3 dropouts. Vyper Air no issues, bigger display, great for "old eyes" as mentioned by buddhasummer

thanks guys! some recommendations and some total warnings... lol... i am as clever as before! but guess i might actually go for the D4i as i really also like the looks of it lol :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom