Suunto D4i Freedive mode - 10 min = 48 Hrs NOFLY ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello people, i am now the happy owner of a Suunto D4i and since im both an aspiring freediver and scubadiver i really look forward to try out the free mode function, BUT ... I really hope someone can explain something to me. The following is from the D4i Manual:

6.3.2. Free dive time limit
The FREE mode has a time limit of 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, Suunto D4i will automatically change from Free Dive to Scuba Bottom Timer. After the dive, the no- fly time will countdown from 48 hours. Also, you will not be able to dive in AIR or NITROX modes until the no-fly time has counted down to zero. You can only set the DIVE mode to OFF.
NOTE
If you want to dive in AIR or NITROX mode after diving in FREE mode, remember to switch to the correct mode. Otherwise, the free dive time limit will activate after 10 minutes.

To start off lets agree that a Freediving session ALWAYS takes more than 10 minutes right ?? Well, im not gonna go to the pool or the beach and get my wetsuit on for less than 10 minutes of diving :wink: Soooo .. Everytime i bring my D4i freediving i have to wait 48 hours before scubadiving ?? Like, this week im going freediving with a buddy friday morning in the pool (We do that every friday) and saturday afternoon im going scubadiving with my diving club, and then im going to be locked out of scuba mode for the whole saturday ??? WHY?! I dont really get it , and if i understand this the right way its going to be a HUGE deal for me :/ Cause then i have to let the watch stay at home sometimes even though i could have used it ..

EDIT: And an extra question, does this mean that the actual FREE mode is only available for the first 10 minutes and after that its just switching to bottom-timer ?? If this is correct i really dont see any point in the FREE mode ? :s

Ohhhhhh, makes much more sense then .. Cause if you dive for 10 min. you are either scubadiving , or well .. dead ? :wink: So if im actually freediving i wont risk being put in 48 hours "QUARRATINE" ?? ;D lol

Friis,

Yes, you are correct. The D4i will only enter a 48 hr no fly time if a single freedive exceeds 10 minutes, which will then active the scuba bottom timer. The computer is not calculating nitrogen loading, so for safety purposes the computer will lock out for 48 hrs.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom