Suunto Cobra Temperature Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Suunto Cobra seems to be displaying temperatures warmer than actual. My buddy dives with a different brand of computer and when I compare temperatures, there have been readings that vary over 9 degrees F in difference. Mine displays a temperature warmer than actual. It doesn't rest that close to my body that any body heat would be affecting it. I'm a little perturbed at this problem. When we hit the thermocline occasionally I bookmark the computer, fully knowing that it is brrrr cold at that point. However, it shows that I am nearly same temperature at 74 feet as when at 30 feet. My buddy and I don't swim 30 feet apart from each other, so that wouldn't be affecting the readings either. Suggestions??? Thanks!

I wonder if it is off in its readings or merely slow to respond. I have a cobra, (actually now my wife's) and it is VERY slow to respond to temperature changes. It takes minutes to register the change from passing through a thermocline.
Check it out in air va a known good thermometer. Then dump it in a bucket or sink of ice water (lots of ice) and see what it reads after 5 min (should be 32F).

My wife dives with an a/i Sunto Cobra and I dive with an Oceanic a/i Pro Plus two..when we download the dives her temp is always 2+ degrees higher than mine.

I dive with a Vyper.

I don't know if it is accurate, but it takes forever to adjust. I never paid much attention to when exactly it starts making sense, but I'd bet it needs at least 10-15 mins from when I hit the thermocline to stabilize.

Having it on the wrist might make it even than the Cobra.

If I remember correctly the manual says that there is a +/- of 2 degrees. Because the temperature sensor is in a gelled section, it takes a few minutes to register the correct temp.

I dive a Cobra 2, and my wife dives an Atmos Aeris. It is not unusual for:

1. Our water temperatures to differ; and
2. Our water temperatures to be the same.

Not sure how significant it is, but I'm thinking a relativity check is in order.

Are you trying to assess comfort, or determining what kind of exposure protection?

I just want an accurate temperature reading. I dive with a drysuit and stay comfortable. I do find all of the posts helpful and appreciate the feedback from all of you!! Thankyou! Deb

Back
Top Bottom