Suunto Cobra 3 won't turn off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm going Diving Next week and I decided to make sure my Cobra 3 was still good (havent used it in almost a year). Battery Check Passed. Turned it on, then it started beeping (I think it was 2 beeps).

I left it overnight assuming it would turn off, but this morning it was still on and in Dive Mode.

Any ideas/

Did you turn it on while your reg set was attached to a cylinder? If so, did you charge the cylinder to see if the air integrated function was working? and if so did you by chance leave the regulator attached to the cylinder without fulling purging the reg set after closing the cylinder valve?

If none of the above is relevant then perhaps your cobra has bad depth sensor.

-Z

It will stay on at least 24 hours, I believe.

I just read through the cobra 3 manual and the cobra 3/vyper air quick start and could not find any reference to how long before the computer is expected to time out. The only remotely relevant info I could find was a blurb in the caring for your computer section that states if the computer goes into dive mode unexpectedly it could be due to contamination between the contacts causing connectivity.

"If the water contacts are active(AC text remains on display) or the Dive Mode activates on its own, the reason for this is probably contamination or invisible marine growth, which may create an electric current between the contacts."

-Z

Did you turn it on while your reg set was attached to a cylinder? If so, did you charge the cylinder to see if the air integrated function was working? and if so did you by chance leave the regulator attached to the cylinder without fulling purging the reg set after closing the cylinder valve?

If none of the above is relevant then perhaps your cobra has bad depth sensor.

-Z

Nope haven't attached it to the Reg. I just turned it on to make sure the battery was still good.

I just read through the cobra 3 manual and the cobra 3/vyper air quick start and could not find any reference to how long before the computer is expected to time out. The only remotely relevant info I could find was a blurb in the caring for your computer section that states if the computer goes into dive mode unexpectedly it could be due to contamination between the contacts causing connectivity.

"If the water contacts are active(AC text remains on display) or the Dive Mode activates on its own, the reason for this is probably contamination or invisible marine growth, which may create an electric current between the contacts."

-Z

I don't think it was ever 24 hrs before but I honestly don't remember. I figured there had to be a way to get back to the option menus prior to waiting for 24 hrs? I called Suunto but all the guy could tell me was take it into a shop. Couldn't even say if there was a way force a reboot.

Probably the simplest, fastest way to get a definitive answer: Look up and call a full service center, which will be a trained and equipped dive shop that handles these all the time, and ask. Might just be a 24 hour wait, but I can't find it written.

My wife and I have had a total of 5 Suuntos. Unless they were in dive mode and under water, they would first go into clock mode after about 5 minutes and then turn off after an hour or so. As suggested, you might want to clean the contacts to see if that might be the problem.

I'm fairly certain the only way to reboot a Suunto is to remove the battery.

There is a recall on their dive computers. Let an authorized technician look at it.

My zoop did the same thing so I finally took the battery out. It never did anything but beep after I put the battery back in.

Back
Top Bottom