Suspected Stress Fracture in Leg (Tib/Fib)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roughwater

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I know of a diver that has a potential stress fracture (caused by running) in their Tib / Fib.

They don't know for sure if they have a stress fracture, but are planning on departing for a dive holiday next week and have pretty much told me they're going diving regardless. (As they can walk, etc without problems).

I'm concerned about nitrogen loading, etc - and was wondering if anyone here could shed some light as to the dangers of diving with a stress fracture that I could advise them of?

I know that they should see their doctor, and have advised that - but any more weight (evidence) I can put behind this may be helpful. Of course, they don't want to miss out on this dive trip they've saved up for so long but.... you know.

Cheers

Adam.

Hi Adam,

The diver with a suspected tibial/fibular stress fracture should insure the injury is not further aggravated by mechanical trauma related to SCUBA, range of motion is not restricted and no analgesics that impair consciousness or judgment are being taken for pain.

Concern about inert gas phase issues interfering with the healing of such a fracture is not well supported by the published literature.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Hi Doc,

Thanks for your reply. I've just talked to them today and now they think it may just be shin splints. Range of motion is not affected, and they have not had to take anything for the pain.

I don't know much about this, but my main concern was when they said they were going diving - and I was thinking nitrogen loading, and possible nasty complications. but hopefully my concerns were overrated.

Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom