Surface vertigo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheVinstigator

Registered
Reaction score
While doing my open water course I regularly had surface vertigo even in the pool (depth 10 feet) every time I surfaced my ears crackled, and I became dizzy for about 1 second. During my open water evaluation at 20 feet same thing happened. Went to florida on vacation and dove in Key largo and pompano beach while these symptoms continued they were not as severe (depth for these dives was max 70-80 feet) I told my buddy of these before diving just in case. Is this common or am I doing something wrong? I sometimes have a bloody nose after diving, my ow instructor told me that blood vessels are close to the surface of the nose and that the bleeding should subside after 20 or so dives and if not I should talk to a DR. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please go see an ENT (ear, nose & throat dr.) and also give the non emergency medicine line of DAN a call (www.diversalertnetwork.org). YOu will find that they will give you good advice.

I have had two students with similar problems lately, they were both found to have bacterial infections in the ear, in addition to severe blockage (which caused dizziness when surfacing regardless of the rate of ascent) and were given antibiotics with instructions to stay out of the water until it clears.

Get better soon,
Maria

TheVinstigator:
While doing my open water course I regularly had surface vertigo even in the pool (depth 10 feet) every time I surfaced my ears crackled, and I became dizzy for about 1 second. During my open water evaluation at 20 feet same thing happened. Went to florida on vacation and dove in Key largo and pompano beach while these symptoms continued they were not as severe (depth for these dives was max 70-80 feet) I told my buddy of these before diving just in case. Is this common or am I doing something wrong? I sometimes have a bloody nose after diving, my ow instructor told me that blood vessels are close to the surface of the nose and that the bleeding should subside after 20 or so dives and if not I should talk to a DR. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Commonly this is impacted ear wax or a eustachian tube blockage. The net results is equalization issues. If your ears are clear and this still occurs, best see your local MD to check for 'congestion' and the the status of your ears.

A student of mine had a similar problem. Her problem was a bit of dizziness on ascents. Her doctor told her it was because her ears equalized unequally so there was a moment of dizziness before they got on the same page. Go figure?

Al Mialkovsky:
A student of mine had a similar problem. Her problem was a bit of dizziness on ascents. Her doctor told her it was because her ears equalized unequally so there was a moment of dizziness before they got on the same page. Go figure?
Yes, that is quite common, often one ear is impacted and the other is not, causing a delay in equalization and this difference causes alternobaric or caloric vertigo. If the tubes are blocked in someway, the ear that equalizes first causes a difference in pressure between both middle ears, thus, alternobaric vertigo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom