Surface Interval Activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c-dog

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A-Hoy Dr. Deco.

Does sleeping during a surface interval significantly effect off-gassing?
Does free diving between scuba dives increase the risk of a pressure related injury?

Thanks

yeah, the less excercise the better. any strenous activity will help form tissue micronuclei, as Dr. Deco has explained in this forum.

for that reason, you shouldn't do any significant excercise (like jogging) for a few
hours after scuba to avoid any problems.

i do as little as possible during the surface interval, just in case.

H2Andy:
i do as little as possible during the surface interval, just in case.

What do you mean "during the surface interval"?????
Isn't that your standard mode? :D

There is some thought that moving around a little helps increase circulation and helps offgassing. Of course you don't want to do anything strenuous to avoid the micronuclei generation.

hehehe... actually, i let OTHERS do the work for me whenever i can

but in terms of a surface interval, i just do normal stuff: change my tank, drink
some water, walk around the boat/site, stuff like that.

btw, i don't think that sleep would be beneficial, as that slows your heart
rate and respiration rate, which (in my non-trained mind at least) means that your
off-gassing goes slower, don't you think?

The free diving during and immediatly after SCUBA diving has been discussed here and a nice link provided by others. If memory serves me right, it was not recommended.

Sleep usally involves slower resparation and so I would think it would not be as efficent at off gassing.

Relax, drink water, eat, read, swap stories and plan the next dive.

Hello readers:

Sleep

During sleep, the heart rate and the general circulation will be at it slowest. During the surface interval, this is not a good condition for the elimination of inert gas. Therefore, I continue with my recommendation to not sleep but move around somewhat to maintain adequate blood flow. :35:

Naturally, when the dive day is over, one can sleep. If you are driving to altitude (e.g., over a pass), it still might be best to continue light movement before the ascent and not sleep.

Exercise :sprite10:

Strenuous activity following dives is not good since it will promote the formation/growth of tissue nuclei. Such activities would include swimming, climbing ladders, and hauling heavy gear.

Such work is definitely to be avoided. :no:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Hello readers:

Sleep

Strenuous activity following dives is not good since it will promote the formation/growth of tissue nuclei. Such activities would include swimming, climbing ladders, and hauling heavy gear.

Such work is definitely to be avoided. :no:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Strenuous activity such as hauling tanks and lead around? I knew I needed a porter!

Sounds like I need to skip the between dive nap and do my free diving before we dive.
Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom