SuperSuit Leaking around the lens. Anyone else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburdick1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I've been having problems with condensation and water entering into my SuperSuit (with \Hero 7 black) housing while diving.

This is frustrating as I used to use a Hero 4 in a dive housing and NEVER had problems with water entering the housing or condensation. My routine has always been to pack the camera (with a freshly charged battery) into the housing with a couple of moisture muncher tabs while in an air conditioned hotel room. I used my Hero 4 like this for 20+ dives without a problem.

I did 4 dives in Puerto Vallarta this week and my SuperSuit leaked a bit during each one.

At the end of dive 1 I saw some condensation on the housing glass lens. This is annoying as I had some little moisture suckers in the case. I didn't want to open it up between dives (humid air gets in) but did so to clean the interior of the lens. I found a few drops of water in the case, but certainly not a full flood. I cleaned the case thoroughly, wiped down the gasket and closed everything back up for the second dive.

Same situation, the lens fogged up by the end of the dive and when opening it up I found a few more drops of water in it. Once we got back to the hotel I broke down my lights and the supersuit, cleaned all of the o-rings and gaskets and made sure everything was spotless.

The next day I prepped the same way, Moisture suckers in the case, cleaned up the gasket and snapped everything closed in our hotel room where the air was much dryer than outside.

Dive 1 resulted in some more water in the case and more fogging. Until now I had been focusing all of my attention on the gasket around the rear door, but on further inspection, it appears that water was making it's way between the black plastic that surrounds the lens and the glass itself.

The good news is that the camera itself is doing just fine, it appears that a little water doesn't bother it.

In any event, I'm going to return the case for a warranty replacement, but I wanted to share this info with everyone to see if anyone else is having Supersuit problems, particularly with water entering through the lens.

Thanks,

Chris

I just bought a Hero 7 Black w/ Super Suit a few weeks ago and so far have 5 dives on it w/ no issues. I may take it to the lake this weekend to grab some stills during the OW class and this may be another excuse to do so. Thanks for the heads up!

I went with an Isotta housing from www.Backscatter.com. It's a real housing and you don't have to take the lens cover off to use it. It also has two o-rings on the back cover and is built like a brick. It's a lot more expensive, but I don't want to ruin my dive trip due to a leaky housing. It also accommodates Backscatter's flip filter system.

Have a couple hundred dives on the Hero 6 Supersuit with no issues.

Thanks for your replies folks.

It sounds like my SuperSuit is a lemon.

I have looked at the Isotta housing, it looks awesome and perhaps Ill pick one up sometime.

However, I spent 30 minutes in online chat with GoPro customer service and they are sending a new SuperSuit out to me as a warranty replacement. +1 for GoPro customer service.

Again, thanks for your replies.

CB

However, I spent 30 minutes in online chat with GoPro customer service and they are sending a new SuperSuit out to me as a warranty replacement. +1 for GoPro customer service.
Way cool to hear!

I had the same problem with leaking around the lens on my recent trip to Bonaire. I went ahead and purchased a new supersuit while there. Maybe I'll call GoPro customer service and see if they'll help me!

I have a backscatter red and macro flip filter on mine, I was wondering if that had something to do with it.

I think the new ones are not as robust as the ones for earlier models. Mine inspired no confidence when compared to my old 3 housing and, sure enough, leaked on dive 1. Fortunately, camera was OK.

It's also a stupid design to have to remove the lens cover just to use the housing.

I $h#[canned it and bought an isotta housing and haven't looked back. It's expensive but you get what you pay for.

I went with an Isotta housing from www.Backscatter.com. It's a real housing and you don't have to take the lens cover off to use it. It also has two o-rings on the back cover and is built like a brick. It's a lot more expensive, but I don't want to ruin my dive trip due to a leaky housing. It also accommodates Backscatter's flip filter system.
Yes, a dive real housing, “built like a brick”...A lot more expensive,(and heavy) indeed...$49.99 vs $410. At those prices,I would simply replace the GoPro case, or carry a backup.

Back
Top Bottom