Super Dive Weekend on Miss Lindsey 20May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TNTdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Super Dive Weekend kicked off and I took advantage of the 1/2 off dives on the Miss Lindsey. Scott met us at the shop at 0700 and we loaded the trailer and off we went. Becky was the Captain and the crew was ready to to show off the improvements on the Miss Lindsey. I have not dove off the Lindsey before, but I will say that it was a very nice boat. There were only six divers, so PLENTY OF ROOM! The boat was clean, the compressor was gone (others told me there had been a fill station onboard) and that left a lot of room.

Off we headed with high spirits knowing that instead of being at work on this Friday we were going diving. We were headed to the Gulf Hustler. Beautiful skies waves 1-2 feet (max). On the way out one of the engines (two engines on the Lindsey) developed problems and had to be shut down. The crew still wanted to let us dive, so they changed the site to the Santore.

We got to the Santore and splashed at 12:54. No one else was to be seen. There was one heck of a surface current. My buddy jumped in and quickly started seeing the boat get smaller. Kicking in his afterburners he got back to the hang line. Seeing this I jumped in and got to the line quickly. We waited a couple of minutes for him to catch his breath and then we were off. Bob had run his wreck reel for us. On the bottom there was no real current. We followed the line and got to see a ray. Leaning against the wreck was a deep sea fishing rod (some poor fisherman I am sure had a few choice words when that happened). Visibility was about 15 feet and temp was 46 degrees, max depth 57 feet.:D

We went up for our surface interval and had some famous Lindsey Dogs and fresh fruit. There was more than enough to go around several times. After a hour and a half, we splashed again. This time the current was minor and we were ready. Deciding that we had seen everything along Bob's wreck line, we ventured off the line some. We were rewarded with seeing a lot more of the wreck and another ray. Downside was that I had opted not to bring my wreck reel and was doing natural navigation (which seemed good based on the reference points). When we hit our air limit we started heading back to the anchor line. Vis had gone down a little bit. We got back to the basic area and started our ascent. When we hit 19 feet we got the anchor line and followed it up.

It was a great day of diving and the crew did a good job. When we got back, they cancelled the night dive, so they could get into the engine. I hope that they got the engine fixed so they could take everyone out today!:):)

TNT

Last edited:
Great report! thanx.
This is shaping up to be one of those years we will talk about long after the diving is done.
Eric

I agree Eric, if you are a diver in this area who complain of conditions here, get out there, we went out 2 weeks ago & again this weekend ( trip report coming ) & vis is up & sea conditions down.

Great report Ted! We (Rob aka BobbyT22 and my usual dive buddy Kevin K) dove the Morgan with LDC on saturday and we were loving the great weather and calm sea state.

1st dive for me was a push, while hanging on the hang bar my dump valve allowed my left arm to flood and as soon as it did my internal "gotta pee" switch flipped and I headed up to relieve myself. My undergarment was soak n wet so I called the dive to let it dry out.

Second dive was much better with me wringing out the undergarment a few times on the SI so I would not get to cold. Dive went well with a 29 minute dive, water temps were cold at 46 on my computer with about 20-25ft vis. Not alot of fish on the wreck but then again I did not expect there to be alot with 16-18 divers on the same general location, on the wreck. It was great meeting a few other peeps from the area and my first time diving with LDC who did a great job attending to everyone.

Looking forward to diving off of Under Pressure in Hatteras next weekend!

Ted, glad you got out on the Miss Lindsey, sorry I didn't hook up with you. Randy and Kevin, awesome to meet you and dive with you. I always enjoy meeting new local divers and hope to dive with you again. As Randy said, conditions were pretty darn good for VB in May, calm seas and warm sunshine, and what I would call 25 foot vis at depth. Cold past the thermocline, but that's why we have drysuits!

Going to try and take the family to Morehead in July. Got to do some warm water diving to keep the wife happy and interested in diving.

Rob

Great to hear that everyone was able to get out and dive this weekend. It was some great weather and a pleasant surprise with the conditions. Of course, diving in a dry suit does make the conditions (temp) a lot easier to handle. And when you are warm, it makes for great dives.

Now just have to make it through the work week to get to some more diving!!!

TNT

just wanted to say, I went on this dive Saturday. Did not go well for me. Lost my fin before I ever got down plus being severely underweighted caused issues. One thing though. This group is stellar in both the way they run this boat and the way the crew provides very individualized attention to every diver. Call them a cattle boat, but they give more attention to each diver than I have ever seen anywhere else.

They're taking a max of 15 divers with the new boat configuration (busy days over the last few years may have seen as many as 20 when they had the compressor onboard) - went this last friday with only 7 onboard. Even when there's 15 it's unfair to suggest it's a cattle boat. Great attention from the mates, help loading and unloading, optional ride between the shop and the boat slip, great hotdogs and fresh fruit during the surface interval. LDC gets my vote - just like to get the bottom temps up a bit from 50F......couple more weeks :eek:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom