Sunset Lake, Linton IN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectre184

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Wife and I went diving there yesterday. This is 3rd time diving there. Visibility above thermal was awesome. Below wasn't, maybe 5'. Water temp above was 80'ish and below thermal was cold as usual. Pretty sure the car by platform is a Mustang. Now curious of year. Also tried to clear out weeds around statue some. Found guide rope that led west from training platform and tried to follow them but it ran deeper and got darker we didn't have any lights and lost it. Not sure what it went to. I also found a kids fishing pole about 10' out from dock. It looked good and didn't seem to be in water very long. I gave it to care taker to give to someone if they needed a pole. About 10 feet out from dock and to right is another rope that runs west and I think it goes to swim thru and the upside down boat. Couple other divers have been in contact with city officials to try and get viz better and get grass eating carp to help with weeds.

I posted this because I'm not sure how many divers go there. It may have been forgotten over the years. It's not a bad place considering its 1 hour from my house and closest place to dive that has anything to see. They do have platform around 20'. Sunset does have FB page and I posted on it about going. If more people post on their FB page they went hopefully city officials will want to spend some $$ on it since it's attracting people. OBTW it does cost $5 to dive if the care taker is around.

It's a great place to dive. It's certainly not ocean diving, but if you don't mind staying above the thermocline (and staying warm), you can really enjoy yourself. There are plenty of fish to watch, neat underwater terrain and interesting vegetation formations--all with 15-20 foot visibility. As was said, for being close to home, it makes for a good dive without spending the entire day traveling, diving, and traveling back. Below the thermocline it is a bit of a different story with very low visibility.

It is my hope more folks from Indiana and Illinois diving there. The town is interested in improving the site if they can bring in more divers. If anyone has tried diving there in the past few years and not been back for a while, give it another shot.

Couple other divers have been in contact with city officials to try and get viz better and get grass eating carp to help with weeds.

What's wrong with the weeds? I ask because plants provide food and cover for animals. I used to have access to a nearby quarry (Dive Cerulean in Cadiz, KY) before it closed years back, and the weedy bottom was a big plus.

Richard.

Went diving at Sunset this morning. Had pretty good time. I ran a rope line from bus to cabin cruiser. Here are some pics from today and from past dive. PICT0050.jpgPICT0052.jpgPICT0055.jpgBus rear wheel.jpgdock area.jpgPICT0010.jpgTammy & Matt.jpgTodd Bus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom