Sunscape Single Diver/Non-Diving Family?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heya,

So... I got 1 week of in April (third week to be specific). Trying to find something for both myself (diver) and non-diving family (mother + brother). I'm considering Curacao and Sunscape at this point. Hoping I can do some dives myself and have my mother+brother swim/enjoy the beach in front.

Will this work for the family?

Anyway - was looking into dive packages and it looks like if you buy XX boat tours you can unlimited air tanks for shore diving... this sounds great!!!! Except.... I'm a single diver and I'm not the greatest at navigation (more like I never TRULY had to rely on myself). Eitherway good or bad at navigation - with under 100 dives (or even over really) - diving alone is never a good idea in my eyes. Reminds me of Bonaire... Has anyone encountered this problem?? Is there a billboard where you can sign up for shore diving at certain times and/or join a group? Anyone have this problem/overcame this problem?

Just want to see if I can make this work for the whole family!

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated

Thanks!!

PS. Feel free to privately message me.

EDIT: I DID e-mail the Scuba Dive Operator there... haven't heard back....

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

Yes, it can work for you. Onsite dive op. Ocean Encounters. Nearby is the Dive Bus, which does guided shore diving. Both forbid solo diving, sad in my view, don’t know whether and how enforced.

You could do up to 4 boat dives/day. If you want shore, too, it’d cost extra to do Dive Bus, but it would otherwise offer what you want.

Sunscape is in a decent location for Mom/Bro also. They must have a shuttle from there to downtown and Mambo Boulevard is just a few minutes the other way. There's a lot to do around the Sea Aquarium also. The main OE shop is there as well. Next door is Lions Dive Resort which IMO s a little nicer than Sunscape but a little farther from town. Although from there Mambo is a short walk.

For their sake, find something in town. It gets pretty quiet once you leave the general area.

OE is pretty fussy about Solo diving - they have a policy against it. They even asked me to log a dive prior on Curacao prior to dolphin diving with them - otherwise I'd have to have done a checkout with them first. I've only been diving since 1981...

First You do not need a boat for diving on Curacao. Dive Bus is great they will pick you up and drop you off..... or you can just walk across the street. :rofl3: They are awesome with newbies and seeing you have time I suggest you do a peak buoyancy class with them. I did years back made a big difference. They are a bunch of fun. I stay every November for 3 weeks and really like curious2dive and only use them as they know wife and I well and her quirks at diving. They will pick you up and drop you off. BTW I always us a local op anywhere I dive. see more and no worries about nav or finding frogfish etc.. Where you are staying (sunscape) you must do all inclusive.. too bad. Not sure about lions dive All Inclusive I am certain it is at minimum an option. There are great local restaurants you can easily walk to from that area. My fave last year was Rudy's seafood a left about 1/4 mile down from SunScape. If nothing else have a Polar there to check out. Sea Side Terrace right next door is really good as well. Across the water is by Sea Aquarium is Lemoncello with really great pizza. That area Mambo beach is fine for the family staying entertained.

Hi Bazal, i has dived with Dive Bus a couple of week ago and the experience was great!. I'm also a solo diver, but they have groups almost each day so you can join them.
In my case I had a car, so I followed they to the beach, i dived while my family enjoy the beach, then I join them in the afternoon. Was a very good experience, so IMHO is a very good option for dive/family vacations.

Lionsdive is much nicer IMHO.

Just FYI: We are in Sunscape Apr. 14-22. My son dives, wife doesn't. We are likely to rent a car and use Dive Bus for mix of guided and unguided dives. Probably won't be doing "non stop diving" type of trip but I'd like to get 10+ dives in .

Hey there... this is Mark from The Dive Bus! Thank you for considering Curaçao as your vacation and dive destination!! The comments above are correct and thanks everyone for the recommendations! Being a single diver is never a problem because we always have buddies for you whether it be the Divemaster or one of the other awesome divers we have diving with us at the time... so please send me a PM and we will look forward to seeing you soon!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom