Sunnto SK6 vs. SK7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickenBone

Registered
Reaction score
i know that to a certain extent, a compass is a compass. I recently bought a Suunto SK6 - It was a great price, and i like the fact that it has a nice, low profile. So here's my question - for people that have used both the sk6 and sk7, is the SK6 reasonably comparable or is there a drastic difference in how much of an angle i can have my wrist on the SK6 before I start getting inaccurate readings? not really a big issue, but i'm curious. thanks

ChickenBone:
i know that to a certain extent, a compass is a compass. I recently bought a Suunto SK6 - It was a great price, and i like the fact that it has a nice, low profile. So here's my question - for people that have used both the sk6 and sk7, is the SK6 reasonably comparable or is there a drastic difference in how much of an angle i can have my wrist on the SK6 before I start getting inaccurate readings? not really a big issue, but i'm curious. thanks
I just bought an SK7 to replace an old compass that was very similar in design to the SK6 (but was not exactly the same thing). I considered the SK6 and decided on the SK7 because it was easier to read (with my subpar near vision) and because of the tilt angle. So I traded a less obtrusive compass for a higher profile job that is easier to handle and read with my eyesight.

Although I don't know precisely what tilt angle the SK6 will tolerate, it is certainly much less than the SK7, because it is inherent in the design. I would *guess* that the SK6's tilt tolerance is somewhere under 10 degrees, compared to the SK7's 30. The big downside of the SK7 (the only downside for me) is its high profile - but that is exactly how they achieve the high tilt angle tolerance. I also thought I needed the tilt angle tolerance because of my vision; it helps me to be able to move things around a little bit to see them better, and with the SK7 I can move the compass a little bit without worrying that the card is sticking.

I parked my SK6 and bought an SK7. Haven't run into a situation yet where the profile was an issue. I am very happy with SK7. The SK6 I found to be very finicky.

cool_hardware52:
If your SK7 is toooo tall try one of these.

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page19.html

This mount reduces the profile by ~.25" and uses easy to don bungee.

Regards,

Tobin

That looks very nice Tobin - and not expensive. A pity about shipping costs to Japan.

Kim:
That looks very nice Tobin - and not expensive. A pity about shipping costs to Japan.

Hi Kim,

The mounts are very lightweight. I can't imagine that mailing one to Japan would be all that much. If you like I'll check tomorrow.

Let me know.

Tobin

Gotta go with the SK-7, but since you already have the Sk-6 is it worth it?
Tobin's mount is looking better and better. With any luck I will have one in my dive buggy within a few weeks. In another thread it was duscussed that the Deep Sea Supply mount should take off at least 1/4" from the 1 1/2" height.

Back
Top Bottom