Sunken House/Gardner Lake-CT/Dove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody here dove this? I read a brief mention of it on another thread, followed the link that was provided and the following is a copy of the description of the sunken house and how it got there.

I would REALLY like to dive this, can anyone provide location of the house in relation to the lake?

Thanks allot in advance.........

The Sunken House of Gardner Lake

[font=Palatino,Times,'Times New Roman',serif]IF YOU DROPPED anchor some still night at a certain spot in Salem's lovely Gardner Lake, they say you can hear a haunting melody, played on an old piano, arising from beneath the quiet waters. And if you chose next day to investigate the source of the mysterious refrain by diving with mask and tank into the depth of those dark waters, you might just find yourself standing on the roof of a house with a piano in its parlor. For there is, indeed, a full-size home resting on the lake bottom, inhabited now only by creatures which breathe with gills. The sunken house in Gardner Lake began its watery history sometime in the winter of 1899-1900. The previous fall, the owner of the home had engaged a constructing firm to move the house from its original lot on one side of the lake to a lot he had recently purchased on the opposite shore. The contractor determined that the most efficient way to move the building was to wait until deep winter cold had frozen the lake solid and then to slide it from shore to shore on the thick ice. Once the house was jacked up off the ground and placed on giant runners, a team of oxen could easily accomplish the task. Moving day finally arrived, but by the time the house had been prepared for the sled, moved down to the shore and slid half-way across the lake, darkness had fallen. The workers decided to leave the house resting on its icy bed overnight and complete the move after daybreak. However, when they returned to the lake the next morning, they discovered to their chagrin that the extreme weight of the house resting on one spot for so long had been too much for the supporting ice. It had cracked under the pressure, leaving the house and all its contents listing heavily to port and threatening to sink altogether. Lacking the equipment to haul the structure from the water, all the contractors could do was go through the house salvaging such valuables as were portable and leave the building and its remaining contents to Mother Nature. Surprisingly enough, even after the ice left Gardner Lake, the house stubbornly refused to sink. In fact, for several years it continued to float, half-submerged, on the surface of the lake. Here tourists came from as far away as Boston to view the remarkable floating house, and children from the area were said to have enjoyed rowing out to play in the still unsubmerged attic. Years after it finally settled to the bottom of the lake -- at a point where water depths are said to exceed fifty feet -- divers in scuba gear have enjoyed finding the sunken hulk and exploring its interior. As late as 1959, a doll and crockery were recovered from the damp domicile. Recent explorers have also reported that many of the larger pieces of furniture remaining in the house are still in a remarkable state of preservation. Especially is this true, they say, of the upright piano leaning against a parlor wall. But even the divers can offer no explanation for the occasional stories that come from fisherman working the waters over the sunken house on certain warm, quiet evenings. More than a few anglers have come home at night to tell family and friends about the echoing piano melodies which have come faintly to their ears -- as if from the water directly beneath them -- and which, they claim, they just can't seem to forget.

That would be a really neat dive.... Like you, I would like to know "where abouts" on the lake?? Any GPS coordinates available?

There is also another lake (somewhere in CT) that has a cemetary under water. That one would make a great Halloween dive :monster:

Looks like you all beat me to asking questions about this location. I can't find anything saying that diving is really allowed/not allowed at Gardner Lake. I also can't find anything relating to where on the lake it is. Looking at the depth charts, it doesn't look as though there's many spots that deep. One of them looks reasonably close to shore. If someone's interested in making a dive, let's set it up and make it happen. That would be a great dive...
Shane

Candlewood lake in Danbury apparently has a sunken village with a cemetary,the bodies have been moved but I think the gates are still up. now THATS a must do dive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The 40 ft area in Garner Lake is just east of the small island. Diving should be allowed. It will be a long snorkle from the boat launch. Vis is poor. I would like to give it a try sometime.

If you plan a dive there let me know. It's close by and I'd like to see the house also.

Dave

Sounds like an interesting dive.

I used to swim there at the beach when I was a kid.

Please keep us all informed if you make a plan.

Michael

I talked to the owner of the LDS in Quaker Hill about the house. She said that she had never done it, but did know people who dove on the house. They told her that there wasn't much left of the structure. They did find a dog leash attached to a cinder block :shocked:! There was no sign of a dog.

last year i heard about all kinds of things in candlewood (everything you mentioned plus local native american artifacts) and was very excited to go dive it!

my hopes were shattered quickly though; there's a horrible algae problem in the lake that destroys the visiblility. it was literally less than 2 feet.

we drove up the road to another lake (mt tom? cant remember the name), but the vis there was even worse.

fresh water diving in connecticut is really suffering because of this issue.

the only way around it is to dive it early-spring before the algae bloom takes effect.

Yes the increase in phosphate inflow to Candlewodd has all but ruined the vis by fueling algae growth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom