Sunken City in West Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleJoes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Coraopolis (Pittsburgh area) Pennsylvania
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard about a dive site in WV where an entire town was flooded when a dam was built.

Does anyone know the name of the town?

Is there any special procedures to dive there? (is it on some kind of park land, do we need to get special permission)

Is there anywhere close by to get air fills, emergency spare parts

Thank You!

More info would help some UncleJoes. What dam/lake/area was impounded? With that we might could sort this out.

Only place I know that fits that description is Summersville Dam. According to the stories I heard growing up (I'm from a small town near Summersville). The name of the town was Gad. I believe there is a Scuba shop there. It is a great place to Dive.

I found this...

Summersville Lake

It's Summersville Lake. I googled it & found that there is a town down there, although I can't find the name of it (the town). This dive shop does dive charters in the lake.

EDIT: As stated above (I believe) it was the town of Gad that was flooded purposely when the dam was built. Here's a link...

is that where they filmed DELIVERANCE?

I have heard about a dive site in WV where an entire town was flooded when a dam was built.

Does anyone know the name of the town?

Is there any special procedures to dive there? (is it on some kind of park land, do we need to get special permission)

Is there anywhere close by to get air fills, emergency spare parts

Thank You!

Are you thinking... Scuba Diving - SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE - Underwater Town!

I've heard of an underwater town, but yet to actually talk to anyone who knows for sure,,, i'd be interested myself:confused:

I dive at Summersville all the time. Even though they may have flooded the town of Gad, there is not actually a town to look at. The lake is 300 feet deep in parts. There are a few sunken boats and a training platform. The rock formations are a big draw. There is shore diving and you can go out with Sarge's Dive Shop. They have a boat and they rent equipment and tanks.

I've heard rumor of a town at the bottom of Lake Walllenpaupack outside of Scranton, PA. Anyone know if it's true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom