Sunburst images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i've been trying to get a good technique for capturing sunbursts. currently i'm getting a really fast shutter speed and aiming at the surface. results have not been what i'm looking for. do i just need more practice, or are there some other settings i can use. i usually shoot these images in aperture priority mode. any suggestions?

Could you post one or two examples ? Also which camera setup are you using?

I usually find that with sunbursts on digital it's better to have a subject between the camera and the sun, or to put the sunball just out of the frame.

canon 5d, ikelite housing, ds125 strobes. no examples handy ... i'll look for some. usually they're overexposed and no light beams. i usually try to use some object to block the sun (boat, etc.) but when i do that i just get a silhouette

matt215
I try for small apertures (f11 or smaller) and fast shutter speeds (1/125sec or faster). Adjust your strobe power for what you want to illuminate in between you and the surface. The smaller the aperture, the smaller will be the burned-out space at the center of the sunburst and the more detail you will have on the water surface. The fast shutter speeds will capture the rays. This was at f11 and 1/125 sec, full power. The shark was about 5 feet away (Nikon 12-24mm lens at 12mm):

2176073691_7bf734bd71_o.jpg

Very cool shot. Thanks for the tips.

yes, cool shot. thanks for the input.

Could you post one or two examples ? Also which camera setup are you using?

I usually find that with sunbursts on digital it's better to have a subject between the camera and the sun, or to put the sunball just out of the frame.

Good advice here, I'd also add placing the sun at the edge / corner of the frame...

Here's a couple of mine for you to judge.

Sunject between camera and sun

Jellyfish1-1.jpg

Sun at edge of frame / just out of frame

Jellyfish3.jpg

Jellyfish2.jpg

canon 5d, ikelite housing, ds125 strobes. no examples handy ... i'll look for some. usually they're overexposed and no light beams. i usually try to use some object to block the sun (boat, etc.) but when i do that i just get a silhouette

Oh, and we have exactly the same set-up!

Nice Jellyfish shots....I LOVE that 1st one with the subject between the camera and sun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom