Summer of 2016 --- Thinking Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseywilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If I gather together a fair sized group from California — 8 to 10 adults, half as many teens, and a few pre-teens — where should we stake out our base for a ten day stay? We'll want to do more eating in than dining out. Most of the group will be advanced or open-water certified so diving is on the list's top. One or two of the non-divers might bring along a referral to finish OW —probably PADI. We will want to do some sight seeing and exploring on land as well as water. The group includes qualified sail skippers. Maybe hit Orlando on the way in or out but not as a group. Probably one or two day-boat fishing jaunts for parties of three or four. Wild excitement is not listed in the plans regardless of the teens inputs. Suggestions are open from Daytona to KW. Although I prefer to hear recommendations from individuals, I'll listen to business pitches within reason.

I look forward to hearing from you on any of the thoughts I've tossed out. PM me for my email address if you want to take this off the forums. You can find me as Casey Wilson (California) on FaceBook and my blog is afreelancewriter.wordpress.com.

Cordially,

Casey

The big parks are of course Orlando but if you are looking for the best beaches you should check out the panhandle. The diving is good, a lot of wrecks in 45 to 90 feet of water within a very short boat ride of shore. I know it is slightly outside the area you were thinking so I won't go into more detail but if you're interested just ask.

2-3 Days in Mickey-Ville.

3-4 days in Boynton so you can hit FTL, LBTS, Pompano, Boca, Delray/Boynton, WPB/Jupiter.

3-4 days in The Keys.

Chug
Would love to do a 10 day dive trip.

2-3 Days in Mickey-Ville.

3-4 days in Boynton so you can hit FTL, LBTS, Pompano, Boca, Delray/Boynton, WPB/Jupiter.

3-4 days in The Keys.

Chug
Would love to do a 10 day dive trip.

Thanks Chug, but we only want one so-to-speak Headquarters to operate from. Anyone that wants to stop by "Mickeyville" will do that on their own time and &&.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2015 at 06:56 PM ----------

The big parks are of course Orlando but if you are looking for the best beaches you should check out the panhandle. The diving is good, a lot of wrecks in 45 to 90 feet of water within a very short boat ride of shore. I know it is slightly outside the area you were thinking so I won't go into more detail but if you're interested just ask.

I'm open to pointers on diving the Gulf. But I have to point out, our main interest has been exploring and photographing reefs. It would probably be a hard sell to spend much time wreck diving even if they are artificial reefs.

Nevertheless, press on with more info, please.

If you are doing a 10 day trip do not limit yourself to stating at one resort or area. I would do Jupiter for 2 days then move south to the keys.

What type of budget if at all are you looking for?

In the keys I like to stay at ocean pointe suites. You can get 2 and 3 bedroom condos that have full kitchens so you can eat in as you said.

If I had to pick one area/place, it would probably be WPB/Jupiter/Juno. Jupiter Dive Center and Abernathy Scuba Adventures and Emerald Charters are all top notch, as is the diving. With that said, 10 days in this specific spot, might get "stale". It's a little sleepy there. With that said, you're an hour from Lauderdale, more great diving, and Key Largo is an hour and a half past that. I would do a couple days here/there kind of a trip. Lots to do/see/experience from WPB/Jupiter/Juno down to Key Largo.

I dive in the Jupiter area throughout the year and also make a couple of trips to the Keys each summer. If you enjoy drift diving and want a very good chance of seeing big marine creatures like turtles, sharks, goliath grouper, etc., then choose Jupiter/WPB/Boynton like muzikbiz suggests. If you're looking for really easy shallow pretty reefs, with a handful of deep wrecks and reefs thrown in then go to Key Largo or Islamorda.

In the Keys, Key West has some interesting top side tourist activities like museums, shopping and historical places (Hemingway House, Eisenhower White House, Forts) and lots and lots of bars and restaurants: with the exception of the Vandenberg wreck the diving is only so-so compared to the upper Keys. The upper Keys have lots of good diving, but topside activities are mostly bars and restaurants. Though you can rent jet skis or go fishing from both locations and Key Largo has the swim-with-dolphins attraction if you're it to that sort of thing. The History of Diving museum on Islamorda is a fun way to spend a couple of hours, if you're a diver.

You can find deep water fishing charters up and down the coast in the areas you suggested. The fly fishing is mostly in the Keys. The coast also has several light houses that are interesting to tour: I've toured the Jupiter and Key Biscayne light houses. If you decide you want some more robust activity, spend an evening on Miami Beach, but don't let the teenagers out of your sight!!!!

The area is good if you have a mixed back of people (sun bathers, fishermen, teens and tech and rec divers) but if the main focus is on diving reefs then you are better off down south. The one spot they claim as a reef up here is horrible in comparison and the big wreck draw (the Oriskany), while nice, I am not sure I would travel across the country just for that one.

From WPB you can easily reach Disney a couple hours north and Key Largo/islamorada a couple hours south. You can dive Jupiter to see big stuff like sharks and Goliath grouper, or go see dramatic reefs like Delray Ledge. Islamorada will give you dining options with gorgeous sunsets in addition to nice reefs with plenty if tropicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say, as a Florida resident; try Bonaire in August, 2016 for $777./person including 12 boat dives and unlimited shore diving. 4 persons in a 2br/2ba bngalow unit at Habitat. Go to Houston and take United n/s to Bonaire. I think you will find as I did, that you can do a Caribbean trip for the same price or less than FL. with better diving and easily accessable shore diving at the resort or anywhere along the road. Passports needed though..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom