Summer dive plans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
Snow is down to just over a foot. Last week was the first school week without a snow day, it was 50F the other day, so I panicked. I started hauling tanks over to the LDS to get them serviced (why do they all have to have the same year for Hydro?). Dive season is approaching like a bus full politicians heading to Iowa. I guess cabin fever has been getting to me, but I am already thinking of sites that I am going to hit this summer (especially since I won't have to work 6-day weeks this summer.

What spots are people looking to hit this year? I have been thinking about all some places around RI that I am going to give a try.

Shore dives:
  • Lands End in Newport. I have always wanted to dive this spot. Parking issues prevented me hitting it in the past, but this year I am going to drop my gear and a daughter to watch it while I park legally and walk back.
  • The Narragansett barge. I have been looking at this on Google earth for a long time. I also saw some videos that some spear fisher's posted. You can't access it from the beach until after 6:00PM when the beach closes, and the tides and waves will have to be favorable, but I am looking forward to giving it a try.
  • The other side of Price Neck, Newport. A lot of exploring left to be done at Green Bridge in Newport. I found a monster ship's anchor east of Green Bridge a few years ago and would like to re-discover it. I would also like to see what else is on the otherside of the other side of Price neck. One option would be to swim across from Kings Beach, another would be to swim around from Green Bridge. Either one is a going to be a long surface swim in back. Another option would be to kayak out and anchor below the tide line. With the old AAA school out there, I am thinking there might be some interesting artifacts in the water. A hurricane in 1944 is responsible for the the 40 mm shells that are sometimes found on the Green Bridge side.
  • Beaver Tail in Jamestown. I am looking forward to giving this a try. I dove it a few years back and we were tossed around quite a bit. I did dive it many years ago so I know it can be really nice when the conditions are nice. Trying the western side of the park, as it is much more protected, is an option, but the climb down the rocks is a bit of a turn off really either side is a bit of a PinA.
  • Fort Getty. I keep imagining this area can be a bit of a mud pit, but I have also heard that it can be an interesting drift dive.
Small boats (hear that Jordan?)
  • The Gooseberry arch. Been meaning to dive it for a long time. I kayaked out to the island and tried to find it from the shore with limited luck. It was a great dive, but arch free.
  • Kettle Bottom. Just south of Wetherill, I have heard this can be a nice dive. many of the advantages of the outer N. bay (nice drop off good vis).

What sites are you looking forward to this season?

The Narragansett pinnacle, Horsehead Cove, I'll show you where the arches are Rich.

Local Mud hole...aka Beaver Lake, 9 days in Roatan, 9 days in Jamaica, and possibly a trip to Coz

Fun summer planned. Coz in June. Kind of unexpected LCBR in August (one of my favs, couldn't pass it up). Bonaire in October. Probably Big Pine Key in between.

Key West in April, Palm Beach in May, NJ after that - a couple new boats I have been looking at for a few dives and shore diving Shark Inlet and Manasquan.

GC for a couple days in April.

Then April through Oct a mix of NC boat dives and the local quarry. Hope to make it to the usual wrecks and ledges plus (new to me) City of Houston and Greg Mickey wrecks.

Some time during the year may pop down to the Keys for a few days.

What sites are you looking forward to this season?

No sites planned yet, I'm just hoping to get more time in the water (any water). I've gone through my gear and gotten everything ready. Just waiting for it to warm up a little.

50%+ on planning to dive the Bell Island wrecks in July, should know for sure in a few weeks (switching jobs). Hope to do a few more of the Kingston wrecks. Possibility for Thailand either August of December.

Dive season is approaching like a bus full politicians heading to Iowa.

What is this "dive season" you speak of?

Attachments

• Poseidon snow.jpg
    Poseidon snow.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 146
I'm with kwinter.. What is this season you speak of? We run charters all winter although we were unfortunately iced in most of February. Most of the ice has finally cleared out of the harbor about 2.5 weeks ago so we're up and running again.

noname (5).jpgnoname (6).jpg

[video=youtube;OwJa2k6VK_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwJa2k6VK_Q&list=UU6EOSFXmlsvI1Ww_IqKTSFQ& index=5[/video]

I'm personally looking forward to diving Bass again a few more times this year and trying to get out to the Suffolk. I also want to maybe do more Jersey wrecks; Have never made it down to any of the charter boats there.

I'm switching to rebreather this year and taking training in April so I'm looking forward to less of a helium bill!

Running a trip down to Morehead City end of May so hopefully I don't get blown out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom