Suggstions for next trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

After a few days of researching wikipedia/wikitravel I've got the idea to also ask here, because I have failed to find my answer. During the last 10 years or so, I made all my vacations in Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia).

What I'm looking for:
- a warm, tropical destination. Nothing cold.
- good diving (nice visibility, interesting spots); wrecks would be really nice if possible.
- I really love sleeping in bamboo bungalows, preferably directly on the beach. I am not looking for hotel-level comfort (in fact, if this is the only option available, I would probably avoid that place). I enjoyed the Raja Ampat homestays from this point of view. AC and hot water are not required. I was even able to live without running water in Raja a few times :).
- I prefer the location to have a little bit of life in the evening. Raja Ampat (as I was mentioning it above) is not really the dream destination - you just eat at 7 PM and then you go to sleep as soon as the power generator stops. There's nothing to do anyway as you are isolated on a beach in the jungle. 1 week in Raja Ampat is usually enough, and then I need something a little bit more alive. Malaysia smaller islands (like Tioman) also shut down early and there's not too much to do in the evening. I don't mean parties, but having a walk on the beach to pick some small restaurant and then maybe stop at a beach bar for a drink is nice. Thai islands are the best from this point of view.
- the place should not be crazy expensive. I usually take about 1 month of holiday per year, so I'd prefer to find accomodation in the range of 20-50 EUR/night.

Most probably I really like Thailand, but if there's anything worth visiting I would be glad to hear your suggestions.

I have tried to look at most Pacific islands, but they all seem very modern/developed, with only big hotels and resorts. Or maybe what I found is not 100% correct. I hope to find here feedback from your real experiences.

P.S. I am traveling with my wife and 7 years old kid, so it should also be pretty safe (not like PNG or Solomons).

Have you been to Bali?
It's not The Pacific Islands, obviously, but it ticks all your boxes.

Have you been to Bali?
It's not The Pacific Islands, obviously, but it ticks all your boxes.

I was meaning outside of Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia :) After Raja Ampat, I want something even more far away, more primitive.. but I really don't have the courage to go to Papua New Guinea or Solomon Islands, after what I read about violence over there..

I think the hard part in your quest is combining the no-frills beach bungalows with locations with some nightlife. It usually tends to be either the one or the other. Especially in the Pacific islands.

Also in my opinion in SE-Asia the diving will generally will be better than the Pacific, as the Pacific is outside the coral triangle. Also the price levels you mention you can't find on the Pacific islands in my experience.

Maybe the wrecks of Coron in the Philippines?

In my view PNG diving is the best I've ever done, but can indeed be a bit more risky.

coral_triangle_programme_map.png

Vanuatu has a real variety of ‘rustic’ and ‘amenity’ diving and adventure opportunities.

If it weren't for your budget limitations, I might suggest the Tuamotos in French Polynesia. But 50 euros a night there would be very tricky. I had a non-AC water-front bungalow in Rangiroa for about 70 euros a night though it did include breakfast and dinner. Rangi has a tiny bit of nightlife - you can go to the fancy hotel for some sundowner cocktails... but it is otherwise rather quiet. I loved Fakarava but there isn't any nightlife - its otherwise everything you are looking for.

The Philippines is likely a good option for you. Coron was suggested above - mostly wreck diving although some reefs, as well as some other non-diving tours for the family to visit nearby beaches, lakes, snorkeling with mantees etc. Coron town is a bit busy but fairly safe and has a good amount of nightlife for a more active drink or two at night. I paid about $40 USD a night for a spacious air conditioned room with private bath and included breakfast in the centre of town.

You could also consider Malapascua - very small, safe island. A good amount of gentle nightlife - you can walk up and down the main strip (which is sandy) and enjoy some dinner and drinks, even sitting under Christmas lights on a bean bag chair. You can get a beach-front bungalow in your budget - no wrecks per se but there are reefs and walls for fish, macro, white-tip sharks and then the daily highlight out to Monad Shoal to see the resident thresher sharks. Water is warm - 26-28 degrees celsius.

You may also enjoy Ticao Island Resort - bamboo bungalows on the beach (you need to catch a boat from Donsol which is reached by 1.5 hour transfer from the Legazpi airport, a one hour direct flight from Manila) - not really nightlife per se but we did have drinks and cocktails at the "resort"'s bar with the other guests most evenings. Food was excellent. Diving is pretty good - reefs plus a channel where mantas and whale sharks frequent. It is pretty budget-friendly and there were some topside activities - horseback riding, kayaking, biking out on the island.

I was meaning outside of Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia :) After Raja Ampat, I want something even more far away, more primitive.. but I really don't have the courage to go to Papua New Guinea or Solomon Islands, after what I read about violence over there..
I really don’t know where people get the information that the Solomons are dangerous. There was a bit of civil unrest over ten years ago, inter tribal tensions that were not focussed on foreigners, but the reality is the country is peaceful, beautiful and a stunning dive destination. The best kept secret in the the Pacific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom