Suggestions to kill 2 days in Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdurigan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to Little Cayman for 7 days, then will be spending two days on Grand Cayman before returning home. That means one day of diving and one day of land/snorkeling activities. Any suggestions on the best places to kill a day or two? And, does anyone have any ideas on where to stay that does not cost not an arm and a leg that is close by.

Thanks

Sunshine suites is affordable and right across from the Westin beach on seven mile beach. Sunset house is a divers resort right in town with decent rates. Will you have a car? North wall is a great dive. I've never done the kittywake wreck but hear its great. For a snorkel day you can do a cattle boat to sting ray city. Capt Marvin has good rates but it is certainly a cattle boat. Eden rock is a decent snorkel If you don't have wheels. Even better snorkel is the shallows of turtle reef but its a bit of public transportation and the surge may make a snorkel difficult. If you don't want to do a charter I would suggest that for a shore dive.

Comfort Suites on SMB or Shangri-La B&B in West Bay round out the affordable list. Ambassador Divers is on-site there for boat dives - I often recommend them. All the Comfort Suites have kitchen facilities. About a block from the beach so slightly more affordable. The website says it was refurbished last November.

IDK much about the B&B.

You might also check Treasure Island, they went extended stay a few years ago but often have extra rooms available. They'd probably be the cheapest. It's south SMB so walking to a couple small shopping centers - a short ride to downtown. It looked old in 2003. They took hurricane damage a few years later and it was refurbished after that. No shore dive nearby. The beach there was so-so but condo residents next door added a breakwater after a hurricane so it might be better now. They also have mini-kitchens. Nice pool. They book thru Expedia.

Either TI or Comfort Suites will also be walking distance to restaurants. IDK about the B&B as we've never been there.

If you decide to get a car, Andy's has a location nearby or at the airport. http://www.andys.ky/index.html If not, buses go right by there all up and down SMB - as far north as Turtle Reef/Cobalt Coast and all the way out to the East End. Grand Cayman's Public Bus Service

Sunset House is going to be more expensive plus I think they have a 3-night minimum. They're also going to be over $200/nt.

If your plan is to boat dive, most operators will pick you up at any SMB location for free.

Last edited:
DiverSteve is right- Treasure Island is probably going to be as cheap as it gets. We went in August and stayed at the Westin. Really nice hotel and great beach. We went earlier this month and stayed at Treasure Island. Big difference btwn the two. Westin is a resort, TI is more of an apartment. But, the rooms are big, good sized fridge, stove, microwave, and coffee maker in room. And the rooms have full balconies which was nice for letting your gear dry. I would stay at TI again.

For cheap eats, check out Chicken Chicken in the Divers Supply shopping plaza. The food at Sunshine Suites is really good too and pretty cheap. Same with Cimboco - they have a $5 breakfast which you won't be able to beat.

I miss Cayman.

Thanks all - I just booked Sunshine - it is cheaper if you book directly on their website instead of through Expedia/Travelocity (I saved $44 for two nights by direct booking). Also I got a mid sized car from Avis for $84 with all taxes etc. for the 2 days. Not that bad considering a taxi from the airport to the Sunshine is $24. One thing is for sure, you don't come to Cayman to save money... I am sure the diving will make it all worthwhile.

Some nice places to visit other than 7 mile beach, would be to drive around to the east side all the way to Rum Point.
The botanical gardens are nice, I liked it but not everyone thinks they are great.
There certainly are some great eateries. Lunch at "my bar" at Sunset house is nice. Lunch on 7mile beach is nice down by the Cayman Reef Resort.
Good places to snorkel have been mentioned in previous posts, cemetery reef, turtle farm, ect.
If you have never dove Stingray City it is a must.
I'm sure you'll enjoy Little Cayman, I consider it some of the best the Caribbean has to offer, and I've been to more then a few places.

Big Tunnel with Red Sail Sports was perhaps the most beautiful dive I've ever been on. Also loved that company.

Chicken chicken. Yummy. Now I'm hungry.....

Back
Top Bottom