Suggestions? Looking for small camera for land and sea. Experienced Land Photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I want to start looking for a small camera to replace my S90 for underwater and land shots. The S90 has been good to me so far, but I want something that can shoot HD video. I have been looking a little at the mirrorless cameras, but I haven't really gone into much depth with them yet. I want to be able to easily use at least one off camera strobe underwater. I also want to camera to stay fairly compact.

On land I have a 60d and an old 20d. I was looking at getting a 5dMK3 but instead I spent that money on scuba and don't regret it at all. I took my 60d and lenses on my trip last week, but it stayed locked in the safe most of the time. It was just too big to carry around and I didn't want to take it on the dive boat.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer to my needs, just point me in the right direction and I'll research from there.

Thanks
00wabbit

How about a G12? This way you can still use your canon flashes on land.

Oly E-PM1, mirrorless 4/3ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read an article about that new Canon. Sounds like it might be problematic for UW photo - no onboard flash, plus it has touchscreen controls.

James

That would be a problem. I don't see the obsession with touchscreen controls. I would rather feel my controls so I don't have to look at the camera everytime I want to change a setting.

Also I can't decide if I want the interchangeable lenses of a 4/3rds system or a do it all lens like the S100 or G12. Right now I just don't want to have to deal with a lot of extra equipment. I just want to take nice photos to document my trips for myself and family.

Later after I build some skill I might consider getting into a more advanced rig or taking my DSLR down.

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TS4. It is waterproof and shock resistant, shoots HD video and 12MP pics. I have one and I love it.

So far I've stuck with my GoPro Hero2 for undewater usage and strictly video.

Though the temptation to use the Nikon P7000 underwater tickles my fancy. But I love the ultra wide angle of the gopro so the earlier temptation includes adding the wide lens to the Nikon housing.

So the overall cost for now just keeps me using the gopro underwater lol.

I looked into the gopros but I am more interested in still photos than videos. I might pick one of those up at some point for a helmet cam.

I would rather find a good still camera that shoots HD video. Most of the time I will shoot stills and occasionally I will switch over to take some video.

I looked at the Lumix in the past but it is only good to 40' without a housing, correct?

I'm in no rush to buy I am just trying to get some directions. The Pen looks cool. Also the G12. I might just go with something like the S100 so I can still slip it in my pocket on land.
So many toys - so little money.

Yes, the Lumix is only rated to 40 feet, but that's just the camera alone. You can buy a seperate housing to take it deeper if that is the dive plan. For a PNS with HD video and great macro that carries easily in the pocket which is designed to work in the depths where the majority of reef life exists it's a great compromise.

Back
Top Bottom